• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

one more quicky

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
I know that pretty much everyone here uses newspaper in litterboxes and I am switching to it also. I was just wondering...If the bunnies chew and eat the newspaper, doesn't the ink hurt them? I'm sure it doesn't because so many people use it but....? :?:

I use newspaper in Jack's litterbox, I put plenty of hay on top so he doesn't chews the paper. I used to have a problem with him eating catlitter which is why I switched to newspaper. He used to burrow through the hay to eat cat litter but doesn't do the same for newspaper.

There was a post a while ago with a link about poison inks, I think most papers are ok to chew though?

oooh I didn't know that about newspaper. I seems that litter is a bit of an issue. I just couldn't decide so I've been using newspaper with hay on top. My bunnies have been eating the hay, I don't know if this is bad?

I tried the litter tray with just newspaper and overnight they used it just once for a wee and weed and pooed everywhere else! So it seems they prefer it with hay in.

Either way though they still wee and poo in their bedroom. Not so much elsewhere in the playhouse. Just in their hutch. :( They use the litter tray in the run a lot better.

Is Sof the only bun who likes ONLY litter in her tray??! :lol: :lol: When she was little and we were going through the trial and error process, she hated anything other than litter in her tray! Even now she only likes the bare minimum of litter, if I put too much in, she lets me know by digging it all out and leaving only the amount that she wants in there!!!! :shock:

My bunny chews her newspaper sometimes. I did some research and its pretty much harmless as most of the ink is vegatable derived.

My bunny chews her newspaper sometimes. I did some research and its pretty much harmless as most of the ink is vegatable derived.

i use newspaper too shreded wiv hay on top they dont tend to chew it unless i dont put any hay in it i think its them trying to say well give us some hay :lol:

hi

I use newspaper and litter on top and hay on top - and they still sometimes eat the wee-soaked newspaper at the back...fresh litter is yummy too :roll:

Edana and the boys :love:

loopylop said:
Is Sof the only bun who likes ONLY litter in her tray??! :lol: :lol: When she was little and we were going through the trial and error process, she hated anything other than litter in her tray! Even now she only likes the bare minimum of litter, if I put too much in, she lets me know by digging it all out and leaving only the amount that she wants in there!!!! :shock:

cheeky bun! :lol: :lol:

I use Carefresh which looks like cardboard mulch dried. It was recommended on an American website which made me aware of potential problems with shavings.

Hmmmm confusing :?

So is it ok for them to eat the hay out of their litter trays?

So whats the point of hay racks? Werent we told to put hay and veg in these so the buns werent eating soiled food?

My buns wont eat out of hayracks anyway but thought I'd ask anyway :p

And is there a problem with using shavings for just the litter tray?

5cutebunnies said:
Hmmmm confusing :?

So is it ok for them to eat the hay out of their litter trays?

So whats the point of hay racks? Werent we told to put hay and veg in these so the buns werent eating soiled food?

My buns wont eat out of hayracks anyway but thought I'd ask anyway :p

And is there a problem with using shavings for just the litter tray?

Fine as long as it's replaced and topped up regularly. It helps them to use their litter as they are more inclined to poop as they eat!

My two are very funny - they are both very good now at using the tray, for poops and wees (Oli was not always tho). You can see the concentration on their little faces when they go to the loo, hehehe. Makes me laugh. Sylvia gets all stroppy if I stroke her when she's on the toilet :shock:

Are they indoors or in a hutch? If in a hutch you could also use a hayrack, and add hay to their bedding compartment. b-m

hi

Shavings give off toxic fumes which can build up in the bunnies liver - but that's what makes them smell 'fresh' - depends on the type of wood they're made from...I don't use a hay rack I just put the hay at one end of a big litter tray and their bums go on the litter while they are chomping on the hay - they look so relaxed, I'd hate for them to have to fiddle with a rackload of hay...By the end of the day they've sifted through all their hay and started pushing it down towards the back of the tray, so it's nice for a bed at night time.

hi

:lol: I know that 'toilet look' bunny-mad - my son had exactly the same expression when he was a baby filling his nappy!

Cheeky bun is right b-m!!!!
:lol: :lol:

She is a right fussy madam. It was never any good me reading books as she did exactly the opposite!!!!!! :lol: :lol

Back