• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blindness

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
I know this sounds stupid, but how do you know when a rabbit is going blind.

My Netherland dwarf Poppy is now 5 and he is running into stupid things. He has free run of the garden and today he ran into my leg, so I have a feeling he is going blind!!!

He has a slight discolourment in his red eyes when the sun shines on them.

Do you have any advice?

If you shine a light on the eye and he is blind it usually goes an opaque bluey coloue you could pop him to the vet and have them check

hi

You might be right as I've heard red eyed animals aren't so good with their eyesight - it could just have been too sunny for him to see properly?
What's he like in the house or wherever he normally lives?

Edana and the boys :love:

Yeh elve my angora Lavender has red eyes and when it's sunny she can;t see well at all

Jack is often running into things too, pretty much always straight in front of him. Rabbits see out to the side rather than the way we do, I think this is why :?: :D.

He always seems aware of things to his sides but never to his front. I've seen him run into my legs, and often the door of his cage. I'm surprised he hasn't injured himself, he runs into things very fast!!

This site is very good, it has information about looking after a blind rabbit and more about signs of blindness, but I think you'd have to get his eyes checked out by a vet to know for sure: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#blind

Good luck! :D

Hiya,

The best thing is to pop him to the vets as they can have a proper look with a scope. Its worth getting it checked as there are other things rather than just old age that can effect eye sight, for example a side effect of EC can be cateracts forming on the eyes. Five isn't that old for a rabbit, especially a Netherland Dwarf as they are quite long lived breed.

Tam

Back