• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

guinea pig cage litter?

hi everyone

some of you may be aware that i took in an abandoned guinea pig a few weeks ago and knowing nothing about them i was thrown in at the deep end.

i was wondering if i could ask for your advice on what i should be using to line the cage with?at the moment i'm using a layer of newspaper with woodshavings on top and then hay in the bed area.

is there a better way of doing this?is was considering using vetbed as i know flower loves sleeping on hers but would this be viable for a guinea pig?

i would appreciate any advice,thanks

Guinea pig cage litter

Animal Rescue and Care use newspaper with a layer of hay over it, this makes it particualry easy when cleaning out and a quick roll up of the paper traps most of the debris inside it. There are lots of different thoughts about using wood shavings particuarly the fine powdery type which can be breathed in causing respiratory problems. Sawdust can with male guinea pigs who are 'low slung' get trapped under the foreskin and cause a reaction / infection. The larger shavings can sometimes be sharp and lead to small cuts on their feet. There is also a belief that sawdust / shavings are highly absorbent and can take moisture away from a guineas skin, leaving them more prone to skin infections, particualry fungal infections.

Somepeople use megazorb or shredded paper in addition to hay which like rabbits is an important part of their diet.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care.

Mine have megazorb and get along fine with it although it can be a bit messy when they throuw it out of their cage. There is a similar product to megazorb called carefresh which is more readily available from petshops than megazorb (although works out alot more expensive).

I use wood shavings and hay and mine are both fine on it they love hay!! they like to run around in it, hide in it, eat it!! but newspaper is fine

Hi, I was using megazorb but now just use that in the litter tray as I can't get it very easily and end up paying quite a bit for it.
Now I use supreme's russel bedding in the main cage over a thick layer of newspaper, it's really good, I got a large bag from wilkinsons and it is lasting ages.

http://www.russelrabbit.com/

Funny you say that Beck, I also use the Russell bedding in the buns hutch and in the piggies bedding area.

Re: Guinea pig cage litter

jrn1310 said:
Animal Rescue and Care use newspaper with a layer of hay over it, this makes it particualry easy when cleaning out and a quick roll up of the paper traps most of the debris inside it. There are lots of different thoughts about using wood shavings particuarly the fine powdery type which can be breathed in causing respiratory problems. Sawdust can with male guinea pigs who are 'low slung' get trapped under the foreskin and cause a reaction / infection. The larger shavings can sometimes be sharp and lead to small cuts on their feet. There is also a belief that sawdust / shavings are highly absorbent and can take moisture away from a guineas skin, leaving them more prone to skin infections, particualry fungal infections.

Somepeople use megazorb or shredded paper in addition to hay which like rabbits is an important part of their diet.

Janice

Animal Rescue and Care.

I agree, I use newspaper with straw and hay on top. :wink:

I find the piggies to be messier than bunnies, they tend to do their business where they stand! So probably best off with newspaper, shavings and hay, something that's really easy to clean.

hi

Hi
My inside gpigs are on newspaper and wood shavings, they have hay at night to eat, you can use it as bedding but they will spoil it and it does not soak up urine well and then gets yukky and then if they eat it, its nastyyyy..Paper and woodshavings is fine, dont go buying expensive linings, not worth it, all my outside ones in the shed have the same..

Lisa

Hi sARAH
I HAVE KEPT PIGGYS FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS NOW AND ONLY EVER USE NEWSPAPER AND HEY, THE SAWDUST GETS IN THEIR EYES AND ALSO ITS MUCH EASIER TO CLEAN WITHOUT SAWDUST, DONT USE STRAW AS THIS CAN INJURE THEM
GOOD LUCK
JACKIE :D

piggy friend

sarah i meant to mention that piggys are very timid little things and they dont live very happy lives on their own, when they have a companion they talk away to each other and are much happier.
jackie

hi

Hi

I use straw for my inside ones at one end because they love to sleep on it, BUT!!!! its the special soft stuff,not the hard stuff, its especially made soft for them to sleep on,its chopped really small and the strands are no more than 2 inch long. The hard normal straw can injure their eyes and I only give that to the rabbit which is fine.

Lisa

Back