• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gurgling tummy

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
ok another question about my newish girl Nala. She is eating and pooping really well, however when i sat on the floor this evening and gave her a grape i heard weird noises coming from her. As she was eating and swallowing there were these windy/gurgling/bubbly noises. Ive heard them before when she has sat near me to have some water but otherwise havent noticed it.. possibly just cos im not always that close to her.
Any ideas what this is? Is it just normal swallowing noises or does it mean anything that i should get checked out?
She will be going for her jabs pretty soon so i can ask about it then but thought id see if anyone has any ideas on here.

I dont know about the noises, but I am pretty sure that grapes are really bad for bunnies. Do you feed them grapes often?

nope just an odd one now when i buy them which is only every few months really. They love them!

Squidgy often makes squeaky type noises when he's eating. I just thought it was normal eating noises.

aaah right maybe it is. Ive just never heard Simba make a sound before so just wondered if it meant something. She certainly doesnt seem to appear unwell so im not worried.. just curious.

Nougat grunts at me when she's offered her favourite food. It really makes me laugh! Bobby is the strong silent type though! I wonder if anyone else's buns make strange noises...?

Yes ours love grapes but are only given them occasionally. Panzy makes noises when he eats Banana I think he makes the noises because he enjoys eating it soooooooo much. Again sadly for Panzy this is only fed as a treat.

It sounds like she has wind tho.. as if she is doing squeaky farts.. u know the ones! :lol: :lol: But they come from her tummy not bottom :lol:

yup its wind :D dusty had this and I was really worried! but its normal, unless her tummy is bloated, if it is you might want to watch her closely cos it could be a hairball

I've never heard gurgling noises when Joey's eating grapes. Just slurpy noises cause he loves them so much! He only likes the red ones though.... and you have to peel the skin off to start them for him! (He's a bit funny, I got him brussel sprouts and he would only eat them if I pulled the wee leaves of for him!!! :shock: :lol: )

I've never heard gurgling noises when Joey's eating grapes. Just slurpy noises cause he loves them so much!

Haha, Sophie does that too!! She only has them now and again but she really makes funny slurpy noises!! It's funny to watch!! :lol: :lol:

Hi Dideen, this is normal - it's the gasses mixing with the food as it goes into the gut.

Sylvia has always had a very audible tummy when she eats - when I first got her I was worried as thought there might be something wrong, but it is normal, and a good sign that their insides are working properly! b-m

Diddeen said:
As she was eating and swallowing there were these windy/gurgling/bubbly noises. Ive heard them before when she has sat near me to have some water

Blueberry makes really loud gurgly noise whenever she drinks water! I don't notice it with Brian but then he prefers to drink from the bottle, whereas Blueberry drinks from the bowl and drinks a lot at a time, So I have always assumed it was cos she drinks a lot all at once :?

bunny-mad said:
Hi Dideen, this is normal - it's the gasses mixing with the food as it goes into the gut.

Sylvia has always had a very audible tummy when she eats - when I first got her I was worried as thought there might be something wrong, but it is normal, and a good sign that their insides are working properly! b-m

I think I meant bacteria, not gasses. This causes gas, hence the gurgling!

well personally i am not so sure i have 16 buns and to this day Hagrid is the only rabbit i have heard thats belly makes a noise "gurgling" and not even when he is eating or drinking, he is pooing and drinking well but has suffered from chronic stasis but he is now pooing and drinking well but i can still hear the gut gurgle!

Eve x

It's funny, I can't hear it with Oli at all? Just Sylvia - but then she is a big lady, maybe there's more gas in there! :D

beck said:
Blueberry makes really loud gurgly noise whenever she drinks water! I don't notice it with Brian but then he prefers to drink from the bottle, whereas Blueberry drinks from the bowl and drinks a lot at a time, So I have always assumed it was cos she drinks a lot all at once :?

I only hear it when Nala drinks from a bowl.. no noise when she drank from the bottle yesterday.. and when she ate a grape which i guess are quite juicy.. no noise when i gave her a cabbage leaf. Weird eh. Oh well i'll not worry about it.. seems it pretty normal thing.

Back