• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

handling bunnies - any advice would be appreciated please!

greybunny

Young Bun
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I've been reading lots of good advice. We adopted 2 grey bunnies 2 months ago from a rescue (Binky and Bobtail, one girl and one boy, both neutered and 1 year old). They don't seem to be scared of us, we've been spending a lot of time with us and they'll happily eat out of our hands and come up to us. But they don't like being handled or stroked! We've picked them up every single day, but we can only do this by cornering them in their run so that they've got a tiny space to move in, or letting them run into a pet carrier and then picking them up from there. Once we've got them, they'll start struggling after about one minute and we're forced to put them down again. If they're eating out of our hands and we try to stroke them at the same time, they run away!

I know that it takes time for bunnies to get used to us, but that doesn't seem to be the problem - just the handling! Will it get better with time or should we just get used to the fact that they don't like being touched?

Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum!! :wave:

I'm sure you will get loads of great advice from people here!!

From my experience, cornering the bunnies or putting them into the vet carrier probably makes them really nervous, hence why they struggle to get down!

Maybe when you are chilling out, sit on the floor and let them come to you, they may be nervous buns even though they have been with you for a couple of months. Then gradually try to stroke them. Sophie loves it when I lay on the floor on my stomache and put my nose to hers! I can see her bunny smiling !!!!!

Do you know any history about them from the rescue? This could be stemming from something that happened to them before you rescued them.

They may just not like being picked up plain and simple. Sophie hates being picked up, she is much happier sitting next to me :D So, I have kind of given up with trying to pick her up, it's less stress for the both of us!!!!

Good luck!!!! :D

hi - thanks for your speedy reply! I had a look at that page when we first got them and I'm sure we're handling them correctly. It's been two months now and I don't think we've made any progress at all on the stroking or handling front.

Please could you let me know the link to previous threads on this topic?

One more thing - I was reading a thread which said we should shut the bunnies in their hutch at night. We keep the bunnies in a covered run (9ft x 5ft) and there is a hutch inside the run which we leave open so that they can hop in at any time. Is this wrong? Should we shut them in the hutch at night or is it ok to leave them out in the run as they're safe from predators?

Thanks!

sorry loopylop - I was replying to the previous reply and I think yours must have come through in the meantime! The history I have is that the bunnies are a mother and father and they were rescued along with their 4 babies. They were found in a bad state having been neglected and left in a small hutch for what must have been quite a long time - the fur on binky's paws had come off as she'd been sitting in her own urine for so long.

When we got them they were in a much better condition thanks to the rescue, who had also had them neutered. They seem very happy now and I really don't think they are scared of us. They will sit on my legs if I sit with them in the garden, but as soon as my hand goes anywhere near, they're off like a shot!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4967
This is a recent thread. It's really difficult, isn't it? My outside bunnies don't like being picked up at all - I think because they are quite big bunnies and don't feel very secure. I've had Bobby for three years, and only picked him up a hanful of times. Nougat's a little easier and is starting to vaguely enjoy cudles now.
As for the run, as long as it's covered and "predator safe" there shouldn't be a problem leaving them out. This is what my outdoor bunnies and piggies live in
bunnyrun.JPG

bunnyrun2.JPG

It's built on concrete, so they can't dig out and nothing can dig in (we had a problem with rats!) and the "garden" bit has mesh underneath for the same reason.
Hope this helps.

hey grey bunny i have the exact same problem as you with one of mine, the other one picked up knows where she is going and tries to scramble down again.

but i can now stroke them by jst going up to the and crouching down a few steps away.. gently talking to them and then reach my hand out slowly move and stroke. then if they stay there i slowly move cloesr in so im right next to them.

or i jst sit down and wait for them to come to me! :D

also i would shut them away at night. so many stories of how they get killed by foxes ect. i think ita alot better to have them locked up safe from any potential harm

sorry loopylop - I was replying to the previous reply and I think yours must have come through in the meantime! The history I have is that the bunnies are a mother and father and they were rescued along with their 4 babies. They were found in a bad state having been neglected and left in a small hutch for what must have been quite a long time - the fur on binky's paws had come off as she'd been sitting in her own urine for so long.

When we got them they were in a much better condition thanks to the rescue, who had also had them neutered. They seem very happy now and I really don't think they are scared of us. They will sit on my legs if I sit with them in the garden, but as soon as my hand goes anywhere near, they're off like a shot!

Aww, poor bunnies :cry: I'm sure with time you will work out what you and your buns like!!! :D As much I try, Sophie hates being picked up :roll: But she will sit by my for ages having fuss, both of us are happy with that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've only had Sooty for a few weeks and i have to pick him up at the moment because he is on antibios . I have to cover him with a towel (eyes too) or he struggles like mad. i hope i'm not ruining my chances of a cuddle in the future but i have to give him the medicine. Are the buns feet ok now?

Binky's feet still have patches (especially along the sides) with no fur. I'm not sure it will ever grow back :( . She doesn't seem to mind though!

hi pepper isnt a gr8 fan of me picking him up but if my partner or my daughter do it they can pick him up strait away :? at the moment pepper likes my daugters neck every time she picks him up :lol:

Hello, this might sound a little strange but have you tried head-to-head contact with them?

Oli is the same as yours, he was from a rescue. He is fine once you have hold of him, but he doesn't like being stroked.

He was very very nervous when we first got him, but has relaxed an awful lot now. However, still doesn't really like being touched. I try and stroke him a little bit when he is eating (generally he is too busy to notice!) and also he seems to prefer head-to-head contact, so I try 'being a bunny' and he sometimes responds to that and lets me 'groom' him with my nose (except doesn't like me breathing on him!)

Also if I give Sylvia a stroke, I always let Oli sniff my hand so he knows I am not leaving him out. I think maybe he just doesn't like the smells that get on human hands - also he thinks that I am going to pick him up when I stroke him, he gets scared, and runs away.

Good luck with your bunnies - they sound very friendly. b-m :)

hi - yes they do like head to head contact! I was hoping to be able to cuddle them, which is why we've been picking them up every day, but they don't seem to be getting any more used to it. I guess we'll just have to accept that that's the way they are and love them for it!

i think i'm going to do the course at greenfields rescue on bonding with your buns, its like a massage technique that helps loads of rabbits who don't like being stroked or picked up - if i do it it will be around the 28th of may and i'll give you some tips from it! good luck in the meantime :)

lol I understand how you feel. Milo doesn't much care to be picked up. He likes to be stroked (not all the time), and loves it when I sit/lay on the floor with him. Getting down to his level and such. You could even try sitting on the floor and when him/her comes up to you give them a little treat (like a special veggie or whatever).

I myself am not an extremely experienced rabbit owner, but I have found those methods to work very well. I got Milo from a classroom, so he was very shy and not to quick to trust. Now he comes up to me willy nilly like we are old friends. Patience is a virtue lol

I can only wish you the best of luck with bonding. I'm sure over time it will work out. There are plenty of awesome rabbit owners on here that will give you some good advice :D

I find when Sooty is the other side of his pen from me (indoor bun) he lets me stroke him for ages but when he is free in a large area he doesnt come to me for tickles so much. Like folks...all different! (Have found best way to give him anti bios without stress for both of us is squirting it on some greens for him which he eats happily. No more towels) :roll:

hi

Good tip about antibiotics! I can't imagine my 2 being held happily for longer than 2 seconds and I hate to impose my will on an animal - although sometimes you have to for their own good.
Rabbits are so different in their personality - Benj is happy to be picked up, although he is the boss rabbit - but he's not interested in human attention at all...Pepper follows me around and seems interested in me but hates being picked up - neither of them are interested in stroking when there's exploring to be done!
I'm always torn between wanting to respect their wishes and feelings, and knowing that I have to 'take charge' and handle them sometimes for health reasons, grooming etc.

Edana and the boys :love:

Back