• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Jaro pics - sorry big

Martin E

Warren Scout
I know this thread is likely to be lost if an update is done - just thought I'd share these new piccies of Jaro since he was in a particularly posey mood after we expressed him this morning (must be the relief).

jaro_004.jpg

jaro_005.jpg

got a few more pics which I'll add later

Martin

Hey Linda, same as before - he's been pretty stable for a while now, he just cant pee on his own.

We're expressing him twice a day to stop the urine building up in his bladder. he has no strength in his bladder wall, so he cant build up any pressure by himself unless the bladder way overfills.

He's on parafend (fenbendazole solution) for EC whcih he has tested positive for - although that may/may-not be the cause of the weak bladder.

He also has renal failure -possibly caused by the EC - but equally this could have been caused be a back-up of urine

He's OK in himself, although he does have grumpy days, and likes his quiet time during periods of the day. At other times he skittles round the room with the occasional bink, and he definitely likes attention and can't be stroked enough.

He also seems to have a particular fondness for the 'ladies' (said in best Leslie Phillps voice) - he gets very posey when they are around :D

awwwww poor boy, do u know what cause this????
the hard work shows off cause he seems happy in the pics and so lovely

becky

thanks for the comments :)

We're not sure exactly what caused the bladder problem - 2 options seem most likely.

1 EC - E-Cunniculi, a parasitic infection of the kidney (can also affect other parts of the nervous system and the brain which can lead to lead tilt amongst other things).

He tested positive for the parasite via a blood test - although he may only be carrying it, it is apparently difficult to identify if a bunny is actually suffering from it.

The EC being active in the kidneys can lead to renal (kidney) failure, which buns can hide pretty well.

The EC could also have affected the nerves that trigger the 'I need to pee' instruction which in turn meant he was retaining urine.

When he was ill before Christmas, he bloated pretty quickly. It turned out this was his bladder which went up like a balloon. The vet expressed him, but it may be that this incident stretched his bladder walls and is what lead to his bladder being very weak now.

2 - that the renal failure was caused by a back up of urine, possibly due to something like Cystitis. The bladder bloated due to it being too painful for him to pee which caused the bladder walls to weaken. Urine backing up in his system would have damaged his kidneys too.

We're not sure if its either of those 2 possiblities - or even something else. But he's on treatment for EC (which can only at best stiffle the spread of EC - it cant cure it) and we're expressing him twice a day.

He seems to know there is something wrong with his kidneys because he drinks like a fish - which I guess helps to flush as much out of his system as possible given his kidney problems.

The one upshot of this is the time he spends sitting on our laps. We have to get him 2 a day, and he gets lots of attention and cuddles during this time. He gets plenty of attention the rest of the time too as Pam works from home - but you cant beat having him on you lap for a while :D

thanks for the feedback

Martin

Aw bless, he is a very handsome chap - my fave colour too :)

I hope he gets better - poor little chap. He is lucky to have such caring owners to look after him. :D b-m

thanks for the kind comments....

just dug out an early pic of Jaro - think this was when he was about 3-4 months old - sorry it's a bit dark too.

The posing skills are in evidence again :D - and he looks like he's smiling too.

jaro_onbed.jpg

Martin

Martin E said:
thanks for the kind comments....

just dug out an early pic of Jaro - think this was when he was about 3-4 months old - sorry it's a bit dark too.

The posing skills are in evidence again :D - and he looks like he's smiling too.

jaro_onbed.jpg

Martin

Hee hee aawww :love: I thikn that one's my favourite :lol: :lol:

He is just the most adorable looking rabbit, I'm sorry he's had to go through so much, but it's obvious how much love and care he gets from you :D

Not only is he one gorgeous looking bunny, he is obviously so content and therefore a real credit to your TLC. aww.

many thanks for your kind words :D

unfortunately, we dont think he will ever get better, its just a case of managing his condition and carrying on with the TLC, manual expressions and various medications.

Now I've got my camera back from being fixed, I'll be taking more piccies - and will need to get some of Yalta too :)

thanks

Martin

aawww he is absolutely gorgeous!! You are doing a fab job keeping him comfortable. What a little poser :D

Back