• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Russell Rabbit

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Hi, anyone else tried Russell Rabbit? I have heard it's not meant to be very good, but I started to mix a bit in with the Excel I feed mine as Oli was going through a sticky bottom phase, and it seems to have cleared up - ?

It might also be that I am being more strict with his veg now - he is not allowed carrot, broccoli, or any fruit at the mo. I would consider moving them onto RR full time, except that they always leave those big shiny black pellets. :roll: b-m

Three of my five buns were on Russel Rabbit but they were all selective eating so I changed them to Excel.

Now I have 4 buns on Excel but Panzy refuses to eat it and is still selectively eating Russel Rabbit, I try not to worry to much as he eats loads of hay and has fresh veg, herbs, grass every day and banana, pear apple, melon and grapes as treats.

The nutritional content of mixes like russel rabbit isn't that good compared to pellets and they can selectively feed. A better option might be to move to the lite version of excel, which has lower protein & higher fibre or Russel Rabbit also sell a pellet called supreme science selective which is very good. How much food are you feeding? A max of around 50g per day for a medium size rabbit is enough, the rest of the diet should be hay.

Hope that helps :)

Tam

2oz twice a day. They are 5.5lbs and 10.5lbs. Anyway, as I say the sticky bottom problem seems to have cleared up now and I was wondering whether it might be anything to do with the RR... b-m

i use russell rabbit and pepper selectively feeds on that and once i have nearly ran out as i have quite a few bags im going to try pellets :D

charmaine said:
i use russell rabbit and pepper selectively feeds on that and once i have nearly ran out as i have quite a few bags im going to try pellets :D

personally i would try mixing something else in now because you need to gradually change the food mixing the two over at least a 10 day period!

eve x

hi

I think it's more likely that reducing his veg has helped him - the RRabbit is just a coincidence maybe? Mine never have fruit, and only a tiny piece of carrot and a tiny floret of brocolli - plus a couple of dark green leaves of cabbage/spring greens each, plus a handful of grass, fresh or dried.

Edana and the cheeky boys :love:

Like Tamsin said, the excel "Lite" is brilliant. My 2 were on Super Excel and Ralf kept getting a sticky bum, but he's been great on the Lite stuff. He still gets a bit of a sticky bum (probably due to the hot weather more likely) but no-where near as bad as before. We were having to bath him every week on Super Excel!! :shock:

Lynsey said:
Do they have to be at least 6 months to go on to "Lite"?

Think it said 9 months on my pack :?

I used to buy the huge bags of RR for all of my 7, then found a cheaper (better!) equivalent for less money so switched to that (its the A&P pellet), 2 of them would NOT eat the new food, and would rather starve so I am still buying the Russel Rabbit for those :roll: None of mine have ever had sticky bottoms when on RR or A&P so I guess its to do with the type of rabbit/how much hay and veg is fed along side.

Rachel

Back