• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered Male Humping! Advice needed!!

Joaust

New Kit
We have two rabbits, one is a neutered male (we hope). We got him from a rescue centre and were told that he is neutered and the other is female and is not neutered. They have been successfully bonded and have been together for the last 5 months. We noticed this week that the male keeps on mounting her and looks as if he is mating with her. Is this normal for a neutered male rabbit? And is there a way that I can I check to see if he is neutered? (this probably sounds quite naive!)

I am presuming he is neutered otherwise we would have seen baby rabbits - wouldn't we?

Hiya, neutered Bucks still mount Does, but hopefully less frequently than pre their little op!! :lol: :lol:
I hope this reassures you somewhat, and also it is highly likely that babies would have appeared within the five month period of the bunnies being together.
To check a Buck has been neutered, tip him upside down and check to see whether his testicles are prominant. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: .if they are shrivelled up to just small folds of skin, this is typical after they are neutered.
I am sure your Vet could do a quick check for you if you are unsure.

Best wishes

Hi

Hi

I agree, they do still do it, sometimes forever still, the humping is not only a hormonal thing, its a behavioural thing typical Males!!! :lol:

Even if the female was spayed, he would still prob do it..

Lisa

It Is Spring (!) AND Rabbits are doing what Rabbits do best :lol:
Whether castrated last week or last year, bucks will still try it on with a doe especially at this time of year it is in their nature.I have six bonded pairs and they are all abit frisky at the moment.I think its the warm weather weve been having lately they are all out in the sun during the day chillin' 8) and behavin like.............well......rabbits :oops:
The does put up with it for a while then run or turn and give a sharp nip just where it hurts, if ya know what I mean boys........ :wink:
Adeles tip on looking at his'bits' or lack of them is a good idea altho just because theyre all shrivelled up or dissappeared altogether doesnt make him any less a bunny :evil:

Back