• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help rehome

bunnyhuggger

Warren Veteran
a lovely housebun called Cocoa? I got this email today:

My family and I have a lovely soft brown lopped ear house bunny named Cocoa. She has been a wonderful addition to our family, and is extremely friendly with children. I have a three year old daughter, and the two of them take turns chasing each other and playing with balls. Cocoa is litter trained and we will be more than glad to donate her cage, food/water dishes, two months worth of food, hay and litter tray.

Unfortunately we are no longer able to properly take care of Cocoa due to a series of a few situations. Firstly, I am now expecting our second child and am unable to clean out her cage, etc. when my husband is away on business trips (which are becoming more frequent). Secondly, we have just learnt that our daughter is allergic to Cocoa and has had increasingly more problems with her asthma; thus, Cocoa needs to go quickly.

With Cocoa being such a family loving pet who is use to plenty of attention we are not comfortable in listing her in the paper hoping that the family who takes her will care for her properly. We would prefer to give her to an organization such as C.A.R.R.O.T. Since you are unable to take Cocoa at this time, could you please pass along information on a similar minded charity who might be able to take Cocoa?

Thank you for your time and consideration
Can anyone help? I have absolutely no room at all. There's no photo of her, sorry :(

:( :( she sounds like a sooty fawn 8) I would love to foster for you Lynda, its a shame I dont live closer :( This lady sounds genuine which makes it all the more sadder :( At least she wants cocoa to go to a good home, I dont understand some people who just hand over the bun without checking where he/she is going :( I can understand her reasoning behind asking your organisation :wink: :) sounds like her daughter will be heartbroken too :(

Denny said:
:( :( she sounds like a sooty fawn 8) I would love to foster for you Lynda, its a shame I dont live closer :( This lady sounds genuine which makes it all the more sadder :( At least she wants cocoa to go to a good home, I dont understand some people who just hand over the bun without checking where he/she is going :( I can understand her reasoning behind asking your organisation :wink: :) sounds like her daughter will be heartbroken too :(
wonder what British Midlands policy is on carrying pets? Just a thought that she could wing her way down south with me to then go up to the Midlands to our lovely Denny

Why can't pregnant people clean out rabbits? I understand the bending down part may be a little difficult ;) but they harbour no diseases that would harm a baby!

Obviously the allergy part is sad for the little girl, I am lucky as rabbits are one thing I am not allergic too (although their hay is a killer ;) ).

Caz

Couldn't they move the rabbit outside, so they could still keep it.

I don't understand what the problem is with being pregnant and doing the rabbits. Iwas still cleaning out 50 odd hutches up until I had my youngest. The only thing I stopped doing was lifting the bags into the trailer. :?

Is she maybe getting confused with cleaning out cat litter? I'm sure I heard that was bad for pregnant ladies. There's something that cats carry that I think can harm unborn babies.

I think she is probably worried about toxoplasmosis ....it is an infection with a protozoal parasite.......... while being fairly harmless in adults can cause a stillbirth or miscarriage .....if the foetus survives it can have eye, brain, liver, spleen, or lung problems after birth.

Trouble is that the chance of a houserabbit picking this up are practically non-existant ......... I've no medical qualifications so this isn't advice but I looked into this before as a friend of ours in France used to bunny-sit Con and Fee, but one summer she was pregnant and refused to take them in, thing is she had a dog (dogs have a moderate risk of carrying the parasite) ..... her garden wasn't cat proof (cats are probably one of the animals most likely to be infected) she still gardened (buried cat poo is a major culprit) and she still ate chicken and other meat products (cysts form on the chicken's muscle/meat contained the eggs, by eating the cyst you get infected). :roll:

By cleaning the litter trays every 24 hours or more often, washing hands well after all contact with animal or places they've been, getting o/h to do gardening and preferably all animal care, most pregnant women can avoid getting infected even by a cat carrying the parsite, let alone an innocent house bun ....you're probably more likely to get it from meat than buns!

Hadn't heard about cysts on the chicken's meat before - another good reason for being veggie :wink: I was really shocked when we got Django for the cat shelter how many cats there were handed in when their owners became pregnant :(

She sounds lovely - but its a bit too complicated here at the moment even probably for a foster. Still trying to get my three to get on ( in between visits to the vets). Adele did say to get another doe for Coco if things dont work with Otis and Ella, bit our hearts still belong to Eddie !

Lynda is there any space at Little Critters in Perth ? it might be closeish

Oh Lynda i would love to help but even when i mentioned fostering i got my head nipped for hours. I will keep my ears open and see if i hear of anyone looking for a housebun.

Back