• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eloise has a runny nose/letting go

Betty

Alpha Buck
She's sounds like she's sneezing and has a runny nose.

Help

Can't find a vets open, don't think its an emergency, badly need some advice

Betty

She is five weeks old, she seems fine in herself, eating, pooing, running around.

About to make the hutch a dust free zone

Betty

Sorry to hear about little Eloise's runny nose - I'm sorry I cant help but youre sure to get some advice here soon! :wink:

Hope she is okxx :(

Just looked this up in my house rabbit book:

If your rabbit is sneezing repeatedly, or has a runny nose, there is a problem. Check the fur on the inner surface of the fron of the paws to confirm the presence of discharge. Rabbits use their paws as handkerchiefs, and matted wet fur here may be the only sign of significant nasal discharge.

It says this is known as snuffles and your vet will need to take a swab of her nose to see if she's got a bacteria infection :(

Hi betty Is there snot coming from her nose? Do her eyes look normal and not runny? is she soughing attall? When is your vet open?

We used to have a bunny with a constantly runny nose we found when we couldn't get to the vet that a small dab of synex just on the end of her nose worked wonders

cheeky has snuffles and i use a tiny bit of olbas oil on a tissue just near his bed (where he can,t get to it ) that will help with her sneezing , get her to the vet on monday tho . it could be a simple allergy or snuffles . better getting it checked out .

Hiya Betty - Awww poor little Bunster - sorry to hear she's a little under the weather.

I think you will need to keep a real watchful eye on your bundle of trouble especially as she is so young. At just five weeks bunnies are so vulnerable so if your in any doubt I definately try and get to a Vet.

I think I've read somewhere that Snuffles is particularly common in young bunnies that may have been stressed by weaning or change in routine etc.

There are also other reasons that can cause sneezing in bunnies but best get Vet checked to be on the safe side.

Hope she is o.k.

Thank you everyone, have checked her paws, no matted fur. Have cleaned the hutch, she's running and jumping as always. Will be keeping a very close eye on her.

Stress, mmm wonder if her flight down the stairs could have upset her? Not weaning as she is still with Mummy.

Betty

Ok phone the emergency vet, who said as long as she is eating and drinking [which she is] not to worry, just keep an eye on her for runny eyes,

Feel better now, just as well got to go to work soon and leave hubby to bunny sit.

Betty

She's fine, still the odd sneeze but her nose is ok at the mo.

Thank you all for the advice and worrying about my little bunster

Betty

Jessica decided she didn't like Eloise any more, so we had to seperate them. Couldn't have them both in the house so Jessica had to go outside. Jessica is of course a house bunny, so couldn't leave her outside, Eloise was born to be a house bunny, so couldn't put her outside.

Finally persauded by O/H and friends who have been desperate to get their hands on Eloise, that she would be better off with them.

Still feel terrible and miss her loads, have shed many a tear over the last few days. But do think I did the right thing for her and Jessica.

She went to her new home on Monday and is been very well looked after and very loved.

Jessica now back indoors and much happier.

I still have three bunnies to love and Eloise will always be very special to me.

Betty

AWW Im so sorry to hear that Betty, but you did the right thing for the bunny and thats what matters. Thats what makes you a very special bunny mum. :wink:

Oh how sad that is for you but how very brave too - you put Eloise before your own feelings and that is the most loving thing you can do.
I'll miss her stories though :(

Aww I'm sorry Betty. You are a fantastic loving bunny mummy. You put Eloise first before yourself and your own feelings which make you such a special person. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((((HUGS)))))

Back