• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

skinny bun!!!

Sometimes it is a good idea to find out why the bun is skinny?? There may be an underlying medical reason why he/she isn't putting on weight...... :)

Is it the giants? Lots if pellets does the trick - they should be on unlimited until at least 6months. This does mean you have to find ways of persuading them to eat hay too! Dried bread is a firm favourite and adds bulk, I would be wary of bannana just because Zeus has a problem with it, although yours may be fine.

Caz

Caz said:
Is it the giants? Lots if pellets does the trick - they should be on unlimited until at least 6months. This does mean you have to find ways of persuading them to eat hay too! Dried bread is a firm favourite and adds bulk, I would be wary of bannana just because Zeus has a problem with it, although yours may be fine.

Caz

hi caz they are on russell rabbit at the moment that what she was feeding them on and they are being selective so i have started today butting the ss in there bouls (hope its not to soon to change their food) and it is the male buck giant!

Hiya Eve

Just to echo the already good advice here really, Buffs had problems keeping weight on and she is now and she is now on a permanent diet of a very small amount of baby food mixed with some dried oats (the fine type - not coarse) and 2 Desert Spoons of SS and small amount of Fresh Herbs and Touch Wood :roll: she has been great on this and has not been at steady weight for some time.

Re the Bannana - I'm sure I've seen a post somewhere at sometime to say just be a bit careful with this as it has a high calcium level so might be worth checking out further.

Hope you get on o.k

hi

main problem with banana is it's high sugar, so can upset the balance of good bacteria vs bad bacteria in the stomach, causing gas.

I've heard that porridge oats are good for putting weight on them too - again high carbs can lead to bacteria imbalance though - you could give a probiotic at the same time maybe?

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

I always gave Jemima an unlimited supply of hay, pellets and she also had a great big handful of Alfalfa hay twice a day - Giants need lots of feeding as they grow so fast and they also needs lots of exercise.
I know that when she was younger our Jemima just ate, ate, ate and ate some more - I thought she was going to go pop :shock: She slowed down a little when she got to a year old - Giants don't stop growing until they are about 18 months old.
I'd have them checked by the vet as well as even a young Giant shouldn't really be skinny - he should be growing like a weed but still hold his weight :?

Caz said:

Caz

is it ok to give eight week olds bread?

Zeus was admittedly twelve weeks when we got him but from what I could gather dried bread was one of the treats the breeder gave all her giants.

Zeus goes nuts for it and if he senses we are going to bed he follows me round like a puppy tripping me up until he gets some :roll: , all my bunnies are the same with their dried bread, they only get a piece around 2" square but because they love it so much they never notice when it has metacam on or not ;) !

Caz

hi

I thought giants were supposed to be with their mum till at least 10wks old? Maybe they've been weaned too early so that's why they're underweight? Not an expert on giants, but I know they mature slower.

Re: hi

elve said:
I thought giants were supposed to be with their mum till at least 10wks old? Maybe they've been weaned too early so that's why they're underweight? Not an expert on giants, but I know they mature slower.

no there not underweight he is!

Caz said:
Zeus goes nuts for it and if he senses we are going to bed he follows me round like a puppy tripping me up until he gets some :roll: , all my bunnies are the same with their dried bread, they only get a piece around 2" square but because they love it so much they never notice when it has metacam on or not ;) !

Caz

I'm concerned that Lavender is a bit skinny, and because I feed the two together I think Charlie might be eating more food than Lavender so he's getting fatter and she's looking a bit too thin. :shock: So I try to feed her more other stuff - veg/herbs etc. She likes the dried bread I get from the pet shop but how can I make it and what bread is it best to make it out of?

I've got a bread maker so I could even try making carrot bread or herb bread. Have you tried this? any advice would be welcome. :D

Banana's are also high in sugar and as they are sweet tasting, make sure bun doesn't get a taste for the sugar and neglects the hay and pellets!! :D

My bunny makes very soft poo if he's had more than a couple small pieces of banana. I discovered this the hard way after I found a smelly pile of squishy poo one morning. It didn't look like caecotrophes. :?

Back