• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Excel "Lite" ok to give bunnies long term?

Kerri C

Mama Doe
Was just wondering, as I am in process of introducing this to the buns normal super excel in hope of stopping the normal excel, as Ralf keeps getting more squishy droppings than he should and heard on here that the "lite one" has more fibre. It certainly does, the old excel has something like 7% and the lite has 18%!! They both seem to like it, and Ralf could certainly do with losing a bit of fat round his backside even though I dont overfeed him anyway.

Was just a bit concerned about it being a lite one that it was not good to feed them on it long term, or is it ok? Dont want them starving, poor little things!!

P.S on a totally different subject, just got a new "log-cabin" thing for Hampton to sleep in on a night, its huge and it's even got little windows for him to look out of!! He was scared stiff when he first saw it in the cage, but he went to bed in it last night, bless him!! You can set your watch by him, he wanders off to his bed no later than 10pm!! You can just see this little hedge-hog feet wandering off into his little house!! Bless him! :lol: I'll try to post some piccies up! :wink:

I'd be interested to hear this too, I'm thinking of switching to the 'lite' version too.

You def need to post piccies of you bun in his log cabin, he sounds really sweet.

My vet recommends lite now for all rabbits, all the time (although I can't get it in big enough bags yet so haven't changed). I think the only difference is the extra fibre and a bit less of the fatty stuff. It should be fine for long term use alongside plenty of hay and veggies.

Caz

Caz said:
My vet recommends lite now for all rabbits, all the time (although I can't get it in big enough bags yet so haven't changed). I think the only difference is the extra fibre and a bit less of the fatty stuff. It should be fine for long term use alongside plenty of hay and veggies.

Caz

Orr great, thanks Caz!! They have the big bags in my local pets at home, but I only got a small one due to them maybe not taking to it. Well, thats great news and has made my day!! I'll try to post some pics up today of Hampton in his log-cabin!! He hated it at first, but he thinks he looks great in it now!!! Funny little furry-chops!! :lol:

Yes, you can feed lite as their perminant food. If you compare the nutrition analysis to supreme science its fairly similar.

I think burgess' food choices are a bit confusing. I wouldn't feed the jounior/dwarf to dwarf rabbits and the lite is a better normal diet than the standarrd!

Joey's usually on Excel, I was going to change to Excel lite but just back from pet shop and they don't do the lite version. They did have SS tho, which they didn't do before. I got a 500g bag to see how he likes it, I'll add a wee bit to his usual pellets. Gave him a piece out of my had and he seems to like it.

A 10kg bag of SS is £13.99 does that sound reasonable? The same size for Excel is cheaper than that. How does that compare to other suppliers? They also do free home deliver.

I've just changed mine 3some onto the normal Excel and Squishie seems to prefer the junior & dwarf mix to the normal but I may get some Lite and fingers crossed they will all like that!!!

Tamsin, you said you wouldn't feed the dwarf/junior excel to dwarf rabbits. What would you recommend? We've changed our little netherland dwarf's food to excel dwarf/junior about five months ago, as we were worried about him selective feeding. He seems to enjoy it, but obviously we want him to have the best diet.
Advice please!

thanks, helen

Hiya,

The junior/dwarf pellets are higher in protein which is good for growing bunnies but not, in my opinion, necessary for buns that just happen to be small. Its a little higher in fibre then the standard pellets by not much. I'd feed him the lite version as it has the highest fibre.

The lite version sounds from the name like its just for podgy buns but if you read carefully it says it's "designed to keep rabbits in optimum weight" so if a rabbit is overweight it will help bring it to the right weight and keep it there, and a bun already at the right weight will stay there :)

Tam

Thanks everyone, glad I bought it now. I thought they were both going to hate it, but the bowl is always empty when I go to feed them!! Ralf will lose his paunchy bum in no time!! :D

Back