• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just been neutered - need some advice

JLW

New Kit
Hi,

Dylan my mini lop was neutered yesterday ( 14/4) and i picked him up at about 4 pm. He was a little drowsy but hopping round none the less.

He wouldn't eat any of his food and still isn't today - he'll eat grapes and broccoli (his fav's) but doesn't seem to have much of an appetite, he is also not using the toilet very much - there are some number 2's and he has had a wee in his litter tray in his hutch but he's not been at all in his tray in the house and he's been inside now for a good few hours.

I have listened to hi and he grinds his teeth occaisionally but not constantly. He doesn't sem to be in pain around his scar and he lets me pick him up and look and he's hopping around quite happily.

Could it be possible he's had a tube downhis throat and he's still a bit sore?

I would really appreciate advice from people who have been through this.

Thanks.

I am no expert, but I would say if he's eating a bit and doing some poo's then he is on the mend.

I would imagine if hasn't been eating too much his poo's would be rather light on the ground anyway. If you are very worried contact yor vet, but if he is bounding around, eating a bit and having a few poo's I would say he was fine.

thanks - it's just so strange seeing him quite quiet as he's normally a real live wire and alwasy eating!!Hes normally always in his litter tray as he knows he generally gets a treat if he's a 'good boy'. hehe

Awww do you have any pics :D , he will be out of sorts for a couple of days, but he will bounce back fine.

Yeah Simba didnt eat alot for the first 24hrs.. i syringed some fluids into him the first night to be sure he'd had something altho most of that went down his chin. :roll: I cant remember when he started to eat properly.. i'll go find a post from when he was done.
When i picked my doe up they said if she wasnt eating/drinking/pooping after 24hrs to ring them.. your buck sounds like he is doing these things on a smaller scale than usual but im sure by tonight/tomorrow morning he'll be munching like mad.

*just found post i made when Simba was neutered.. i picked him up at 4pm friday and he started eating stuff at about 10pm on the saturday.. before that he was nibbling at hay but not much else.. and had only done a small pile of poops by then too.. but he was just fine the next day.

As far as I am aware they don't use a tube with rabbits - I thought they just used a gas mask but I haven't seen a rabbit op so don't know.

As long as he is eating something that is a good sign. I rip up handfulls of my lawn to tempt mine to eat after ops!

Caz

My Joey was neutered 2 weeks ago now. He was the same, only eating brocolli and not pooing as much as normal. As long as he's eating something, drinking and pooing then I think he'll be fine. It'll take a day or two for him to get back to normal. :) Just give him loads of snuggles.

cheers for the advice - i think he's just feeling sorry for himself - i'll have to take some new piccie's of him and post them, don't think i've got any recent ones on my camera!!

he's a lot better - stole himself a carrot out the veg rack so he must be feeling better!!Running round like a crazy man again!!I'll try post some pics in a bit for everyone to see.

dylan02.jpg

dylan_01.jpg

Hopes this works.

Back