• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Brush

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi All,

Just wondering what type of brushes people use to groom their buns with ( :shock: ) as mine doesnt really seem to make any difference! Im brushing Elvis a bit more that usual at the moment because of him molting but im not picking any loose hairs up with the brush i use.

Thanks

Anything that gets a lot of fur out :shock: I would say something soft though :wink: Maybe people with the longer haired bun can help more.

In the mean time can someone tell me when buns stop moulting – its driving me nuts. :lol:

Oh, i wish, if you find anything to stop it you must tell me :lol: :lol: !!!!

I have more fur on me than hes got on himself after ive given him a cuddle.........the clothes brush and sellotape have never been used so much!!!!

I use a round toothed comb on my buns that gets loads of hair out and i use a soft flat brissle brush for after im finished!!! I have no iea when they stop moulting though i pressume it just depends on when all the old hair has come out!!

Im hoping its soon! Poor little Elvis looks all scraggly!!! Bless him :lol: :lol:

Think i need to invest in a new brush, the one ive got is the soft bristle one, obviously its for finishing off and not getting rid of loose hairs!

i think I have been extremely lucky as everyone's bunnies seem to be moulting however my bunny hasn't at all yet...........touch wood! I just have a rubber brush but I would say that people with long haired bunnies will have the best advice..........Dideen where are you?

I use a soft bristled brush but find it doesn't get as much hair out as when I run my hands over them backwards i.e. starting at the bum first :roll: and gently pluck. The Vet told me to do that and it doesn't hurt, gets loads out and Totti will sit for ages being plucked :roll: :D and I don't know where all this fur is coming from- could've stuffed a duvet by now :shock:

mmmmm will have to give that a try tonight :shock:

I keep finding loose bits hanging of Elvis, when i pluck them he doesnt even flinch, so plucking it is then!!

one of the cutest things I saw last year was a Blue Tit flying off with Totti's fluff to line its nest with - the ultimate in natural recycling :wink: p.s I suggest you pluck outside as theres loads and loads and loads :roll:

That oculd be a problem......i live on the top floor or an apartment block :shock:

Think the tiled kitchen floor will be the tidiest option, atleast he wont lie in it so it gets imbedded in to the carpet and has to be scraped up!

Sweetie said:
That oculd be a problem......i live on the top floor or an apartment block :shock:

Think the tiled kitchen floor will be the tidiest option, atleast he wont lie in it so it gets imbedded in to the carpet and has to be scraped up!
Oops :oops: and have the vacuum ready...

Brushes tend to be pretty useless as they only get the top of the coat. You really need a find tooth combe such as a cat flea comb, these work a treat :) You can use the brush afterwards to make him shinny tho ;)

Tam

hi

my 2 have short hair but are always moulting slightly - they aren't cuddle bunnies and hate being brushed - and I've tried every type of brush and comb, including a rubber grooming glove thingy - they hate them all!

I accidentally found that when my hands are damp I can get LOADS of fur out just in one stroke (they like being stroked) - then I rub it all together like when you roll plasticine into a ball - and think - wow - they would have swallowed all that! Damp my hands again and so on...They don't mind at all, especially if they have their noses in the trough :lol:

I think they'd have something to say if I plucked it out though :shock:

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

I was thinking plucking with just my hands, not tweezers or anything :shock: :shock: :shock: Elvis might have a thing or two to say about me using tweezers!!!!

The damp hands thing is a good idea !

Poor Elvis, he wont know whats going on when i get home tonight and start all my little ideas on him :( :lol:

I fthe fur is lose and coming out in tufts then plucking is a good way to get it out. So long as its not attached just caught up in the rest of the fur it comes out really eay and shouldn't hurt a bit.

Tam

Brushing backwards with your hand and brush is very good as well (depending on coat type). Toby’s got the kind of coat that stays fluffed up when you have run your hand through it backwards (tail to ears). So his coat looks really nice when I have done this with a brush and hand. Plus all loose fur is gone....for a little while. :wink:

I use cat flea combs on my two. I also have another comb for Nala's thick fuzz which is like a cat flea comb only it has extra longer teeth that are wider apart and get deeper into her woolliness.

Tamsin said:
Brushes tend to be pretty useless as they only get the top of the coat. You really need a find tooth combe such as a cat flea comb, these work a treat :) You can use the brush afterwards to make him shinny tho ;)

Thats exactly what I do - I tried all types of cat and dog brushes and combs but end up using the fine tooth combe, and soft brush afterwards.

Oh and the vacuum. Charlie bun likes it, he gets really tetchy when I groom him, but as soon as I put the vacuum hose on him (with the brush attachment on it) he lies down flat on Steves lap and is quite content to be vacuumed/brushed and stroked at the same time. We do this and stroke him quite roughly to get all the lose hairs out. Works a treat. :D

Back