• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! I don't know what to do..

Joob-joobs

Mama Doe
Joey has been acting really weird tonight. He's been quite timid this whole week but I thought it was because I had taken him to the vets last week to be neutered. But tonight he's been flopping onto the floor, all stretched out and his wee sides are going really fast. It's not like he usually is when he's relaxed, he's trying to get really flat against the wood floor and there's a loud thud when he flops over.

If he was stretched out usually and I went over to pet him he would get nervous and run away but he lets me pick him up tonight.

He's had plenty of fresh water and he has munched loads of hay the last few days, more than usual. Plus some of his favourite broccoli and Excel pellets. He's also been toileting as usual.

I've given him a tummy rub and he sat and let me brush him, which would not normally happen easily.

I have noticed that his ears are very warm, should I give him something cool in his cage to lie against if need be? Like a bottle of water?

The only things that I can think of which are different to normal are I gave him a hay ball with the bell in from the Chinchilla website and he munched some of that and he also tried out vet bed for the first time today, although he wasn't on it for very long.

I'm beginning to panic as this is the first time anything like this has happened to my bun.

I've been reading the recent posts about the sick buns but Joey is eating and pooping.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Seems that I'm the only registered user online at this time of night. :?

Joey's began to be quite active again. Ran round the living room.

I've clean out his cage so I can see how much he is eating/pooping and I'm going to keep him in there all night. He's munching away right now and being very responsive, unlike earlier.

He never lets me stroke his tummy or feel under his chin but when he was liying flopped out on the floor earlier he was allowing me to do both. It's very strange, he's acting just like normal now.

His ears are now cool even tho I didn't give him anything cool to lie against.

I worry so much, he's just like my furry flatmate!

Could he have been in a deep sleep and when I woke him up he went into panic mode? His heart was racing and his ears were roasting.

I know I'm not imagining it, my boyfriend heard him flopping over from the next room and came through to see what the noise was, it then looked like he couldn't get comfy and he flopped over a few times with his legs stretched out behind him then repeated this a few times. He was acting really strangely.

Wish someone else was on at this time of night..... I know I won't be able to sleep. :(

All I can say is MAKE SURE HE IS EATING!!! I lost my beloved charlie bun after a neuter. We think it was because he wasn't eating enough...and we never had the chance to take him to the vets. Before he passed, he was very quiet and didn't run around a lot, all I can say is I wish little joey the best and keep an eye on his eating and drinking! Good luck!!

He seems lively and responsive this morning. He's munching his hay and pellets. He's also been using his litter tray.

I'm sorry to hear abour your wee Charlie, how long after his neuter did he pass? :(

Toby had something like this once, and I never found out what it was but he was fine the next morning. It could be that something may have frightened your bunny.

Could it be that he got overheated somehow? (thinking of his hot ears)

My boys became much more laid back quite soon after their neutering ops. Lying down with a loud thump is normal, they sort of twist their backends in mid air and flop down with their legs out sideways and it's (in my experience) the sign of a relaxed bun.

Tarragon can go from eating to thumping down flopped out looking like he's dead in a couple of seconds and then be bounding round half a minute later. Most of mine have days where they rearrange themselves a few times while settling. If they've been running around first then heavy breathing isn't unusual, I think it's more obvious when they're on their sides.

If he's eating and pooing well and not showing any signs of discomfort it may be that he's just going into a new phase of laidbackness which sounds good - though obviously keep monitoring him.

I know despite what i'm writing that every one of the above things - and plenty more - have had me in a flat panic in the past :p I hope he continues to be ok :)

He's been fine all day today. I'm not sure what was wrong with him.

It definately didn't look like he was relaxed. He looked agitated and was flopping over, getting up and shifting around a bit and flopping over again. He repeated this about 5 or 6 times in quick succession.

He's definatley eating and pooping so that's a good sign. If it happens again I'll call the vet straight away.

Back