• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to Find a New Home

Hi there,

I am desperately trying to find some information on how to go about finding a new permanent home for our two rabbits (who live together) and one guinea pig (who lives separately). I don't particularly want to take them to a rehoming shelter, but would rather find them a permanent new home.

We have two rabbits which we rehomed from the RSPCA when they were just babies at a few weeks old. This was in 1997. They are now approaching 8 years old. They are from the same litter and are both female (confirmed by vet), so they are sisters. One is white (Rosie) and the other is a mottled grey colour (Charlie). Charlie is very docile and good natured. Rosie is a little more skittish, although not aggressive – just nervous. Neither has been handled very much. One of their favourite foods is flat leaf parsley. They have a large (relative to the appalling pet shop sizes) hutch and adjoining run that we built ourselves before they came to live with us. I consider that they have a good life and they seem contented.

Tufty, the guinea pig, (who doesn’t actually live with the rabbits, but in an adjoining hutch) is approximately three years old. He used to live with a rabbit, but has lived alone now for about eighteen months. He is very good natured and is a lovely tri-colour. His fur is tufty (as his name suggests)! ;) I would love for him to live with some other guinea pigs, as I know they are social animals. Like the rabbits, I would love for him to go to someone who understands the transition and would watch for any difficulty.

The problem now, however, is that we are being overrun with mice. Our house borders a field and forest and the mice are attracted to some of the food we feed them with. We have started getting a considerable number of mice now. As we have dogs, we are unable (and I am personally unwilling) to use ‘deal with’ the mice problem in an aggressive, i.e. poison, fashion. My parents have now decided that we must rehome the rabbits and get rid of the hutches. I am unhappy with doing this, but obviously must respect that this is their house.

My parents originally decided that they just wanted to take the rabbits to the nearest RSPCA. However, I am seriously opposed to this and have convinced them to give me some time to find a good permanent home for them. As the rabbits are now so old, I am so worried about how the change in living environment will affect them. It is also unlikely that they would be rehomed quickly as a result of their age. Also, as they are sisters and have lived their whole lives together, I am absolutely adamant that they cannot be separated. However, after a lengthy discussion with our local RSPCA, they have said that they cannot guarantee that they would be rehomed together. In addition, they have a good size living space at present. I couldn’t bear for them to be rehomed into a tiny cramped hutch in a back garden somewhere.

The problem is that my parents have given me a deadline by which time I have to have found them a new home. If not, they are going to the RSPCA. Therefore, I am desperate to find them a good home and must do so quickly. I don’t want them to end up at the RSPCA.

I desperately want to find somewhere that will really care about them. As Rosie and Charlie are now quite old and have lived their whole lives in one place, I also want to rehome them with someone who will understand the transition for them – someone who knows a lot about rabbits.

I feel such a responsibility to find the three of them good homes, but I’m under pressure from my parents to do this quickly.

If you can provide any help or information at all, I would be really grateful.
Vicki

P.S. Incidentally, I live in Preston, Lancashire.
P.P.S. Sorry this is such a long post.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The deadline is pretty much ‘asap’ – I don’t have an exact date, but if I take too long about finding them a new home, I won’t get a choice in the matter and they’ll end up at the RSPCA.

I don't have any photos handy, but I will go and take some and post them as soon as I can. I'm not actually sure how to post photos, but I'll have a go.

Vicki

could you not have these animals indoors? Surely the love for your animals would outweigh the fact that you need to "deal with" these mice. They carry disease and not only that will continue to multiply and totally take over your garden, eventually you will have to do something about the mice.

Anyway good luck with everything Vicki.

To be honest, I'm not sure that the mice aren't just a catalyst for this decision. I think it's probably been building for a while. They aren't too attached to the rabbits unfortunately. It's not my decision to rehome the buns or the pig.

Anyway, I've been and taken some photos and I'm going to have a go at uploading them now.

Vicki

I would love to take them but i think my parents might kill me!!!! i can help with bunny runs if someone up north would take them though

awww Phil you are always there to take in a bunny and you have so many you are a star! Good job the parents are there I suposse otherwise you would have hundreds by now! :lol: :lol:

Yes i would!!!! i would have them all!!!! (still gonna ask my mum and dad if we can have em, they'll say no but woth asking) My mums as barmy as i am, saying that only two of the rabbits are hers!!!!

I've suggested that Vicki try Jay. Otherwise perhaps we can organise some transport to a more bunny-savy rescue or perhaps a fosterer who can take them whilst a perminant home is found.

Vicki are you able to help with transport at all, or will we need to sort that wherever we sort out?

Tam

No, I'm pretty mobile - I have my own car. I am based in Preston (Lancashire) and probably wouldn't want to drive hundreds of miles, but distance is not a problem (within reason).

Okay, I'll admit that I couldn't figure out how to post an image on the forum :oops: - I don't even know if it's possible - so I created a really quick Tripod website and posted their photos up there.

This is the URL: http://members.lycos.co.uk/vickichick/

For some reason, their photos aren't on the homepage, so you need to click the link that says '4 photos' and you should be able to see them. There are 3 photos actually - 1 of Rosie, 1 of Charlie and 1 of Tufty.

Hope this works!

Vicki

Vikki

If you need to home them quickly they could come to me in Manchester this weekend until either a permanent home is found or they can stay

Elaine

Rosie.jpg

Charlie.jpg

Tufty.jpg

They are gorgeous bunnies.. hope they find a new home soon. Could you get them to manchester to Elaine?

awww they are gorgeous you must be sooo sad to have to get rid of them :( Phill bet your mom thinks you are a nightmare! And what is your Pan btw?

Back