• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

straw??? hay??

xx-bex-xx

Young Bun
just a quick question..
i usualy put hay on the floor of the hutches but brought some barley straw and started to use that as hay flattens alot more

but i thought they only ate hay.. do they eat straw too then??because they are munching away at their bed right now!

Molly eats straw, the other 2 don't. I was given some really good quality straw from a farm and she absolutely loves it. Doesn't seem to be doing her any harm.

Hiya, bunnies eat straw aswell as hay :)
It is important though that bunnies mainly eat hay, as straw does not contain all the nutrients that they require, plus it is coarse and can contribute to gut problems as it is more difficult for bunnies to digest.
We give ours hay for bedding as they started eating all the straw and left the hay!..we then had two bunnies get constipated as they had not had enough hay....it is okay to provide both hay and straw, but monitor how much they are eating. :)
Bunnies do like to hide in a deep straw bed though :wink: :)

Back