• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Medical Liquid Paraffin

Denny

Mama Doe
does anyone know where you can buy it :?: Unfortunately Adeles link is for trade only :( Any suggestions or online links greatly appreciated :D

Hiya Denny, you can buy it from Farm shops, Countrywide Stores is where we normally get ours from :)

thanks Adele, I think I know of 1 farm shop near me :wink: would a horse livery sell it do you know :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol: it can be :wink: :lol: :lol:

Its not for me, it is just someone I know is trying to get it to give to there bunny :wink: it can prevent gut statis and could be handy in the molt season with fur balls from what I read on another topic :wink:

really gosh I can't believe that at all - woudl like to know more about this I am amazed :D Well you learn somethin new everyday!

Kitty malt contains it doesnt it? Wonder if mine would prefer liquid parafin taste to the malty taste of kitty malt.

BirdieBun said:
what! Paraffin isn't that for lighting your fire with? :shock:

:shock: :shock:

No it is not that type of paraffin, but a MEDICINAL (Veterinary standard) Liquid Paraffin for animals .....there is a huge difference!!...DO NOT USE standard paraffin folks, we are just talking about Veterinary Paraffin here :wink: :)

Do you have to use it for rabbits?? Ive never heard of it! Have i been doing something wrong by not giving it to Elvis???

nah dont worry. Mine are long haired so they often ingest their fluff when grooming, especially when they are in moult. They often have poops strung together with hair so when i see this i give him a dose of kittymalt to help the fur go through his system without blocking.

oooo, i feel a bit better now, havent noticed anything like that .....yet!

Will keep my eye out though! :shock:

Diddeen said:
nah dont worry. Mine are long haired so they often ingest their fluff when grooming, especially when they are in moult. They often have poops strung together with hair so when i see this i give him a dose of kittymalt to help the fur go through his system without blocking.

chris how often do you give kitty malt???

I dont give it regularly, but i know some people on here do. I just give it if his poops are a bit stringy or small. Usually give him about 2mls at a time.

I saw the Ascott on line shop but was put off by the minimum amount and postage. Had a wasted journey to a horse feed supplier then picked up a bottle in Boots. Is that the same stuff?

Rallybunny said:
Found this: http://www.ascott-shop.com/cat147_1.htm . Looks like minimum order is £10 though..... anyone fancy a "group buy" type thing, I certainly wouldn't mind having a bottle in for emergencies.

WELL DONE RALLYBUNNY :D :D :D £2.20 not bad either :D :D
I might give them a ring see how they deliver because not sure if they can deliver this particular item through the post :? :?

Jill, the liquid paraffin on rallybunnies link does say medicinal on the bottle, and states in its write up that it is a laxative, what does your bottle say :?:

Denny said:
Rallybunny said:
Found this: http://www.ascott-shop.com/cat147_1.htm . Looks like minimum order is £10 though..... anyone fancy a "group buy" type thing, I certainly wouldn't mind having a bottle in for emergencies.

WELL DONE RALLYBUNNY :D :D :D £2.20 not bad either :D :D
I might give them a ring see how they deliver because not sure if they can deliver this particular item through the post :? :?

Jill, the liquid paraffin on rallybunnies link does say medicinal on the bottle, and states in its write up that it is a laxative, what does your bottle say :?:
"a laxative for the temporary relief of constipation" and you can give it to kids over 3 yrs old. I see its active ingredients are Liquid Paraffin Ph. EUr 100% -if that means owt

luvabun said:
a laxative for the temporary relief of constipation" and you can give it to kids over 3 yrs old. I see its active ingredients are Liquid Paraffin Ph. EUr 100% -if that means owt

I might have to make a trip to Boots then, if this is safe for bunsters. :D Nicely found luvabun!

Back