• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the best food for rabbits?

Hiya I'm new here.

I've had rabbits before (a dwarf lop, netherland dwarf and a rex) but that was quite a few years ago now.

I'm just interested in finding out what is recommended as the best complete food for rabbits? Which brand is considered best for giving them everything they need? :?:

Thanks for any help! :D

Out of the following three: Excel, Science Selective and Allen & Page, I wanted mine to have the A & P as its non GM and has the most fibre but the buns won out. They prefer Science Selective pellets and I'll go along with that as they don't get squishy poos on that (Brody did on Excel).

Plus they don't get many pellets so having to buy the big sack of A & P didn't work out for me. 1. nowehre to store it and 2. it went past its sell by date before it got eaten.

SS for sure, it took my bunny a while to like them after being brought up on a mix from my local farm but now he loves SS :D

I've heard of Excel, but i've never heard of Science Selective or Allen & Page before now. Are these sold in normal pet shops or do you order them from the internet?

Thanks for the advice! :D

I feed mine dodson and horralrabbit royal it has plenty of fibre and pellets and a few marigolds!!

SS you can find in Vets or you might be able to find it in most pets shops

I feed mine wunderpet number is it 7?? I feed mine what ever agrees with their tums they were being russel rabbit but the didn't eat the pellets and one of mine got a sticky bum with it so we can to change

RipleysRatPack said:
I've heard of Excel, but i've never heard of Science Selective or Allen & Page before now. Are these sold in normal pet shops or do you order them from the internet?

SS is readily available from pet shops including the ones in garden centres. I had to order the A & P from a horse feed place and as it was a special order, I had to have the whole sack. Cheap at just over £6 but I can't remember how big the sack was - may have been 10kgs.

Science Selective is very good and usually readily accepted, you can buy it from Pet World or any pet shop that stocks Russell Rabbit should be able to order it for you as they are made by the same company. I feed my young rabbits on SS and then change them on to Oxbow Bunny Basics T which is a timothy hay based pelled made in the USA and very high fibre.

beckiboo186 said:
I feed Charlie Russel Rabbit, Is this good/bad and has anyone ever had probs with it?! Thanks, Becki XX

I've certainly had problems with Russel Rabbit but I don't know if anyone else has. I used to feed it to Sweep until he got ill.

The vet told me it was caused by the food he was eating. For some reason he was unable to digest the dried food properly, so it just built up in his stomach and made him ill :cry:

Sweep has now made a full recovery but we have been advised not to feed him any dried food at all - especially not Russel Rabbit!
He now eats nothing but fresh food (grass,hay,leafy vegetables etc).

Hiya

I feed my buns Allen and Page pellets, they are doing really well on them and have a lovely glossy coat and look very healthy. Excel gave my smallest bun lots of sticky poos which is part of the reason I swapped. A+P comes in 20kg sacks for about £6.50, very good quality food for a good price!! I order mine in from a local feed shop, ask around horse feed suppliers/pet shops if you are interested as they may be able to order it in.

They don't get much of this - 50g a day, the rest of their diet is made up of hay, grass and veggies :D

Nicola

Another vote for Science Selective - mine love it. It appears to be becoming more widely available. My local petshop sells it, as does Jollyes and Wyevale Garden Centres stock it too.

RipleysRatPack said:

Science Selective is available in all pet shops by me, look out for the turquoise bag :D

nicolar said:
Hiya

I feed my buns Allen and Page pellets, they are doing really well on them and have a lovely glossy coat and look very healthy. Excel gave my smallest bun lots of sticky poos which is part of the reason I swapped. A+P comes in 20kg sacks for about £6.50, very good quality food for a good price!! I order mine in from a local feed shop, ask around horse feed suppliers/pet shops if you are interested as they may be able to order it in.

They don't get much of this - 50g a day, the rest of their diet is made up of hay, grass and veggies :D

Nicola

My lot also get A&P. I echo all that's said above.

Louise

Looks like ill be changing Elvis' food aswell then after reading this post......

He is on hay and the dry mix from the local petshop at the mo.

SS Here we come!!!!! :D :D :D

My Charlie was a rescue, and don't think he has ever had any greens/veggies, so when I give him them, they disagree big time, as in his poo's are like, stuck in a lump to his newspaper!! I have tried introducing them gradually, but with no luck. Any ideas on what to do to to introduce him to food which is good for him?! Thanks. Becki xx

Hay is the most important part of their diet so make sure you get some yummy stuff. Long strands not the chopped up stuff and nice and green looking not dusty old brown stuff. They should have as much of this as they want and eat a big pile a day.

For dry food I'd second (or third/fourth) Science Selective made by Supreme. Its got lots of fibre and the bunnies seem to love the taste!! Its a pellet food as well so they can pick out some bits and leave others like with mixes. An average size bun can have upto about 50g a day.

Depending on how well you bun takes to it you can also feed various 'greens' as well. Herbs are favourites with bunnies.

Tam

Mine have Science Selective and they love it too. Simba was on Burges excel before that but he often produced excess caecal poops. There are a couple of petshops near me that sell it. I phoned round a few til i found a shop that sold it.

hi

This site do SS and my vets sell it too - My bunnies love it so much that I use it as a healthy treat for them, as well as breakfast and supper - they can't get enough of it! It's strictly rationed though - you CAN have too much of a good thing if you're a bunny!
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=59&page_id=4

Bunnymail.co.uk do the Allen and Page pellets - mine like those too - they have a mixture as I'm changing them over to SS at the mo.

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

hmmmm. I have tried hard to find GOOD quality rabbit food, but here in Duluth it's harder to come by.

Sorry i'm not much help there o.o'

Back