• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay help!

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
As you know Nala was spayed today. She has nibbled a tiny piece of carrot and cabbage and had a small drink of water since returning but mainly has been laid out asleep. I just went over to stroke her and noticed a big fat poo so went to pick it up and it was like fat and sort of pointed at each end and moist :? Then i noticed as she moved there was a slight brown mark on the vetbed so figured she must have another one on her bottom.. carefully picked her up to find that her entire bottom and tail was caked with a hooooge sort of 'cowpat' poop! It wasnt very sloppy.. just wet and sticky. Ive just used about 10 babywipes to clean as much as i could out of her fur and off her bottom.. figured i couldnt really dunk her bottom to clean it properly. Is this normal after an op? It did smell really bad! There was no sign of grape-like shapes just a huge 'pat' so i dont know if it is a caecal or what it is. Any advice greatfully received.

It could be the drugs and the anaethetic working through her system as well as the upset of the day :? I woudn't worry unduly at the moment unless she seems to be in pain or discomfort.
If you have any probiotics then pop some in her water and encourage her to drink - drink is more important than food at the moment as she will need to rid her system of all the stuff that she has had today.
Sending loads of healing vibes to her.

aaah thats ok then.. i did wonder if it was cos it smelt soo horrible. I'll go bug her a bit with the water again... havent noticed a wee yet but then it could have been under the caked on 'pat'! :roll:

I'd agree, i wouldn't worry yet. Surely the fact that something came out is good, and better than nothing at all. All the drugs are sure to upset her botty a bit. Fern used to have v icky runny liquid poo straight after her ops but then they'd start coming out normal. Like Jay said I tend to concentrate on getting them to drink initially.

Lavender goes into be spayed tomorrow :cry: , I'm beginning to panic slightly. So it'll be me on here tomorrow panicking that Lavender isn't pooing, or looks grumpy. :shock:

Lots of love and hugs to Nala.

Hi,

As my vet told me when I was a bit concerned about a rabbit I had spayed recently.........if it was a woman she would be off work 12 weeks!...

Think we expect too much from our bunnies too soon, I would definately put probiotic in her water and I'm sure you will see a remarkable inprovement in 48 hours ......24 if your lucky after all it is a major operation. Try and tempt her with her favourite food, it took quite a while before mine was back on her rabbit pellets I just think she went of them for a few days.

Fingers croosed and best wishes for all

Maureen

She is surrounded by her fave veggies but hasnt touched them since the first few nibbles earlier. She wouldnt drink so i just syringed about 10mls into her mouth. A few normal poops fell out of her while she was on me lap so thats great to see. Unfortunately i dont have any probiotics here so cant give them to her. :?

hi

Why vets don't give bunny owners Metacam for their bunny's pain relief once home is beyond me :x

They'd never expect a dog or cat to cope without pain relief - and a woman would not only have 12 weeks off work but would be rattling with painkillers!

If she's in pain she won't eat or drink. Nag your vet for some Metacam!

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

Re: hi

elve said:
Why vets don't give bunny owners Metacam for their bunny's pain relief once home is beyond me :x

It's at least partly to stop your bunny from over-exerting herself. If your bunny is in so much pain that she's not eating, your vet should be happy to give her more pain medication on request. But you don't want her feeling so little discomfort that she's leaping around all over the place and nibbling at her stitches.

As for the poo, it's normal for the first few poos out after a general anaesthetic to be a bit weird looking and misshapen. The 'pat' was probably her being too lazy or sore to eat her caecal pellets, so she just carried on sleeping and they got squished under her.

My vet gives me a sachet of Science recovery for when i get the buns home it is really good at getting them back on there feet, they do tend to get sloppy poo from the anaesthetic!!

Hope Nala is feeling better today, i am having my old english done on monday so it'll be me next week!!!

Lots of healing vibes and love to Nala :)

Well no more cow pat poops! :lol: She has done a few very small hard poos around her cage when i got up this morning. Not alot of wee.. just a few dots of wee. Cant really tell if she is drinking as i have a bowl and bottle in there. I have just syringed in about 30mls of water with a dash of pineapple juice in it which she seemed to like. I have just now mushed some of her pellet food with water and syringed about 30mls of that into her too and she seemed to enjoy that. She isnt grinding her teeth and is hopping around a little in her cage. She did seem to be shivering when i had her on my lap but she doesnt feel cold at all.

Re: hi

Bertie said:
elve said:

It's at least partly to stop your bunny from over-exerting herself. If your bunny is in so much pain that she's not eating, your vet should be happy to give her more pain medication on request. But you don't want her feeling so little discomfort that she's leaping around all over the place and nibbling at her stitches.

I just picked up Lavender from being spayed. I asked about pain killers and had a bit of a discussion with the nurse about it. She said they don't tend too, and would prefer to see the bunny again tomorrow if the owner is still worried. In my case, cos they know me and even called me 'their most proficient rabbit owner', they said they'd recommend I call them tomorrow if I'm worried and we'll decide together whether or not to give her any metacam (which I have at home anyhow). I agree entirely with not giving them painkiller unless they need it, bunnies are very resistant to pain anyhow so if they don't need it its best not to give it to them.

Good luck with your little love! We are very lucky with the vet I use, he is passionate about rabbit and guinea pig care, he keeps them all in overnight, with partner, I have 3 days pain relief of metacam. It took me 4 vets before I found this one, one of my buns went to Bristol for advice! He has been on 2 weeks leave and my queries are loading up, why won't he give me his mobile number?!!! Alice

Back