• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A warning for all and a request for advice

Rob

New Kit
Folks,

8 months ago I bought my first house rabbits, a pair of lop does Bonkers and Pearl. Unfortunately Pearl died last week and I am devastated. She was a real daddies girl and will be sorely missed.

I can't help but feel that I contributed in some way to her death by not immediately taking her to the vet on the morning she died. She had always had trouble maintaining weight, even following veterinary guidance and we kept a close watch on her. In the days before she died she was eating well and all appeared fine. That morning she appeared a little more subdued than normal but not ill as such. I resolved to keep a close eye on her and came home early from work to check up on her but unfortunately she had died. I now know that time simply isn't a luxury you have with poorly rabbits and I bitterly regret the decision I made that morning. Please don't get caught out like I did.

I can't do anything for her now but I can make damn sure it doesn't happen again.

Apart from the things listed below can anyone suggest any useful tips for monitoring rabbit health ?

Checking on food intake (we use vets recommendation, SupaRabbit Excel supplemented with some greens and first cut timothy hay)
Feeling the spine (again veterinary advice, if you can feel the vertebrae they are underweight)
Regular grooming and physical check up for injuries or signs of illness.
Checking stools for any indications of problems.

I also bought a set of pressure scales (kitchen type) to try and monitor weight but found it impossible to get them to stay on the pad, even using a basket. Does anyone else manage this and how ?

We now also have a single doe who's lost her bonded pal.
She seems fine, is eating well etc., although she is often searching for Pearl. Several people have advised that we may now need to introduce a neutered male to keep her company. Does anyone have any experience of this process ? Will she accept a stranger into her territory ?

Thank for any advice you can offer.

Rob.

aww Rob, I am sorry for your loss. :cry:
I dont like to keep any bunnies on their own. ( my only unbonded male gets his girlfriend next week :D )
As for introducing a new male to your female, i think its just a case of trial and error. I have personally always managed to bond bunnies without any problem. I think maybe they should be introduced in a neutural place. Good luck and keep us informed. xx :D

Awwww Rob - I really feel for your loss but please don't beat yourself up about this I know a good few of us including me have been through this in the learning curve of what to look for when your precious bunster is poorly and were all still learning.

The check list you have is brill and as well as this I guess its just a case of knowing your bunny really well and somehow senseing that all is not well. I pop mine on the scales fortnightly now unless I feel there is any more reason to be suspicious of their weight - I tend to stand on the scales myself and get my weight then with a bunny in my arms and subtract the difference. If I'm really worried I pop them to the Vets as they have a pair of basket type baby scales which are brill for bunny weighins.

I lost a very special bunny Dillon last year - very much like your case I still feel I didn't spot quickly enough the weight loss but even with Vet intervention we lost him - it was suspected E.C infection but this was never proven.

In respect of your remaining bunster who is feeling the loss of her pal - when we lost Dill - Buffy was left on her lonesome - I gave her a week or so of TLC to help her through the grieving period with loads of cuddles and fuss and her favorite herbs and then we introduced Cagney to her - At first we Cagney in a separate Pen but they could sniff each other and it really was the making of Buffy - it was like she had found a new reason to live. The whole bonding process took a month or so but mainly because I took it really slowly as Buffy's health was not brill at the time, now they are the best of pals and a real happy matchup.

It is important though to do any full introductions on neutrel ground and if you do a search on the Forum on Bunny Bonding you'll find loads of posts on all aspects of bonding.

I hope it works out o.k for you for your future possible bunny pairing and thanks for sharing this and we look forward to hearing all about your bonding antics :wink:

Rob I'm so sorry that you lost Pearl, she was obviously a very loved bunny. Don't beat yourself up over what ifs, if you'd had even the slightest inkling different you'd have had her down to the vets that morning, but it's possible that it still wouldn't have saved her :( and it's so easy to say in hindsight that we should have known something, but the fact is that sometimes we just can't.

A lot of rescues will let you have bunny 'dates' with potential partners if you arrange to take Bonkers to meet possible friends, it takes a whole load of stress out of the bonding process if you know from the start that they get on.

Good luck with finding Bonkers a new companion before long, I know you must be feeling devasted at the moment about Pearl and she probably is too :(

Hiya,

I'm sorry for your loss :( The things you have mentioned are certainly good ones to check.

For the scales I pop mine in their carry box and then on the scales, then weight the box seperately and take away the weight. Don't forget to record in somewhere with the date.

Grooming is a very good way of spotting lump, bumps and injuries. You can also check for skin problems and in general get your bun used to being handled.

Another thing to watch for is discharge from the eys or nose, also staining around the nose and on the inside of front legs. Sometimes they clean so fast you won't see discharge on their nose just crusty stains on their legs where they have wipped it.

Another thing to watch is teeth, you can check the front ones by gently lifting the lips. Strange chewing actions and dribbling (or a wet chin/chest) can also be symptoms of teeth troubles.

I would get a vet to check over Bonkers just to make sure she is fit and healthy before going ahead with introducing another bunny. That makes sure she's ready for the stress and will put your mind at rest that there is nothing wrong with her. Make sure they check the teeth as this can cause weight problems and is sometimes hereditory.

Welcome to the forum!

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Rob sorry for your loss, I'm sure a few of us have been in the same position you found yourself in so please do not feel you are on your own.

Apart from all that is mentioned above I always look at their eyes, you can often tell if a rabbit is unwell by the change, there is just no sparkle anymore I always mention this when I go to the vets and he looks at me strange but it's true you know your own rabbits and if you think there is something wrong then you can bet your life there is.

We all have if only's and if we don't then it just hasn't happen yet so be strong and take another bunny into your heart.

Best Wishes

Maureen

So sorry to hear about your loss.

I've been weighing my baby 11 week old Frenchie boy every day since I got him 3 weeks ago, mainly out of curiosity but also because he was a the smallest in his litter.
I've been using my kitchen scales (digital) which don't have a basket so I've been using a pyrex lasagne dish with a cloth in the bottom to stop it being so cold and slippery. He just sits there and is very relaxed, unfortunately we're going to have to move up to the bathroom scales very soon as my kitchen scales only weigh up to 2 KG and he is now 1760, he's doubled in weight in the 21 days I've had him, gaining about 300g per week.
It's hard even after such a short time to remember how little and skinny he was, he's now a bruiser, bigger than my 11 month old lionhead :D
I routinely weigh my other bunny once a week anyway so as to have a base line to keep an eye on any sudden weight loss or gain.

Back