• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch floor question

catatonic

New Kit
I am unsure of what to cover the hutch floor with. At the moment I cover it with hay, the same as with their bedding except a much thinner layer. I am not sure my rabbits like this as they tend to sweep it out of the way and prefer to lay on the wooden floor of the hutch. Is this any good for them? I dont really want to use saw dust as Dewi has long hair and this would get tangled up in his coat, what would you suggest instead?

My buns do this all the time they seem to prefer sitting on the wood so i leave them to it :D

hi

My rabbits seem to like the scratchy asphalted roof of their bunny box, which is in their shed for them to sleep inside - not on top! I put some fleecy vetbed type stuff (£5 from Wilkinson) on top yesterday, and they were snuggled up on that this morning.....

Or you could try flat weave carpet - the type you get as doormats, but not latex backed as they chew latex - depends really if they are destructive chewers or happy with chewsticks and hay?

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

newspaper covered in shredded paper wouldn't stick to his coat so much and it's free if you know of an office or somewhere that shreds.

Huggies and Bunny sleep anywhere but the sleeping compartment made for them :roll: :roll: If it is cold, wet or snowing they will be outside on the damp floor under their igloo and if they are inside they either sleep in their litter tray or the wood floor, we kept giving them hay and they just pooed and peed in it :roll: :lol: I think as long as they are happy like Phill said leave them too it, we worry far more about their comfort then they do :D :lol:

because any stray pees can get ingarained into the wooden floor I used these stick on floor flor tiles on my shed floor - it is great as it can be wiped clean really easily - I got mine for about £2 a pack in Focus.

I put their litter trays on top - and a bedding area too - it is really easy to clean as I just use a dustpan and brush.

lol Pam

I use the carpet samples they get rid of in carpet shops and if they get a bit soiled they get put in the bin.

The bunnies seem to like the warmth in the winter and they stay resonable clean for a month or so

Maureen

I use wood shavings (no dust) and mix it with the hay but since Pip is back in with Poll, he has gone back to they bare boards - I dont think Poll has a say in it :roll: :wink: They dont tend to soil their bed area so I'm lucky! :)

i put newspaper down and then hay but i put alot in and it just gets flattened.
they dont seem to like what i do because where they are suposed to sleep you know in the covoered dark area, thats where they pee so i have to put 4 hole news papers their because they drench the place.! they prefer to sleep in the corner, lying on their poop and in the area where the its all open (if you get me)!on some hay and wraped around eachother!

I use shredded paper cos they like playing with it and it's the only thing they don't seem to sweep out of the way also it does'nt get in there fur.

Back