• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Conversion from house bun to outdoor bun!!

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Ok guys, outdoor buns im fine with but house buns.....not so much!!
Patch is coming tomorrow and because he's been a house bunb all his life i obviously can't put him straight outside cause he'll get cold.
So my plan is to put him in his run during the day and bring him in at night for a few days/weeks.

Anybody have any ideas how long i should do this for?

Bearing in mind that the weather can get quite cold up here until the end of April!

hi

Is there a room or hallway in your house where the heating could be turned off? That would be a good way to avoid him going from warm to cold environments and getting chilled - then you could put him outside on a mild day (if we ever get one this spring!) - it's too cold outside even in the day right now (well it is in Sheffield, so I guess that north wind's blowing Dumfries to bits too?)

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

would it not be better for patch not to go into the garden at all and to be kept as an house rabbit (even if that means not taking him on) i have found that most house rabbits that have allways been house rabbits dont like the garden/hutch living they are just not used to it.

when we had that warmer spell a few weeks back i used it as a perfect oportunity to bond my house rabbit kymber, and even though it was quite warm out there he hated it and sat in his carrier in the run!!!!

Hi,

We had a house bun for 6 months or so but when she started getting destructive we had to put her outside. Admittedly it was summer but she was fine over night with no adverse effects.

Although the bun has been kept as a house rabbit, he's got a fur coat and should be fine...however if you have a Snugglesafe or any means of heating then it would be great if you could use that.

JMO

Rachel

bunnylove said:
would it not be better for patch not to go into the garden at all and to be kept as an house rabbit (even if that means not taking him on) i have found that most house rabbits that have allways been house rabbits dont like the garden/hutch living they are just not used to it.

when we had that warmer spell a few weeks back i used it as a perfect oportunity to bond my house rabbit kymber, and even though it was quite warm out there he hated it and sat in his carrier in the run!!!!

I think it depends on the bunny and how persistent you are. Chips used to really sulk when we put him in the garden and his brother (no longer with us) used to scratch at the door to get back in. But now, he happily munches on the grass for hours with all the other bunnies, and Sheffield never seems as relaxed in the house as he does when he's out in the garden. They need to get used to it, there are a lot of new smells and noises that can be really scary at first. Just a whiff of the local neighbourhood cat could set off an unwary bunny.

I can't put mine out if there's a chilly breeze, or any dampness on the grass or they will just sulk, but pick a warm sunny day, and they don't want to come back in.

Hi guys many thanks for this, if he does'nt like being outside then i will just keep him as a house bunny!! my bedroom is quite a cold room anyway and i always have the windows open so it is colder than the rest of the house, i don't intend to leave him outside for long until we get some better weather cause vthat would't be fair on him

(well it is in Sheffield, so I guess that north wind's blowing Dumfries to bits too?)

It was snowing yesterday!!!

hi

Oh I'm glad it's not just my rabbits that sulk when there's a cold wind (and we had snow too yesterday - in April!?)

I couldn't coax them out of the bunny shed today (tried for an hour and a half) - they just didn't want to know, even though it was sunny it was soooo cold - they're not daft are they?

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

14 of mine are sensible and avoid the rain and cold at all costs but lavender my white bun loves the rain she sits out in it and then digs holes and roles in the mud!!!! :lol: which means tommorow i will have a lovely grooming job of trying to get her white again!!!!

My two are as likely to sit out in the rain as the sunshine. In fact there have been spending alot of the sunny days in the shade of their hutch where as when it tips it down they play in the run :roll:

Hi

I find it's not the rain or the cold they don't like it's the WIND.

Any windy day they stay inside their hutch and only venture out when it calms down :roll: :roll:

They will sit out and play in the rain and evan hailstones but not wind.

I give up I've spent hours trying to work out why they sometimes won't come out and this is what I've come up with, evan if it is sunny if the wind is blowing not a bunny to be seen :lol: :lol:

Maureen

Yep maureen most of mine are like that wind is a big no no, i'll go out to check the buns and if it's windy then it looks like a ghost town not a bunny i sight!!

Id agree on the wind! My three hate it!

Im currently in the process of trying to convert mine from house to outdoors too as it was originaly just Mitsy but now we have kept two of her babies we cant have three in the house.. its just madness :shock: :shock:

We bought a gorgeous solid oak dining table from a very very expensive shop and they are using the legs to cut their teeth on it!!!!!!! :shock: :cry: :roll:

So after much deliberation we are weaing them, they love it so far as they are out pretty much all day but back in at night, we have just built them a run outside too.. its huge, ill have to post some pics soon!

Oh Mary do pics are always great, we got patch yesterday and i had him out in the lawn run all afternoon i'm not quite sure what he thought of it, i put him back out thismorning and he did'nt look to impressed at being left!!

Back