• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard?

I will be getting rearguard for my 2 boys. Is it one bottle per rabbit, and is it a spray? What sort of price is it. Do any of you actually use it, does it have any disadvantages like being smelly or leaving them wet? Thank you.

Love
Rachel xx

I used it on my old lop Phoebe, its got like an applicator thing (similar to the sponge on the end of a shoe polish) and it foams up when you put it on. It doesnt seem to have an aroma from what I can remember and you can keep the same bottle to re-apply according to my vet. Cant remember how much it was though as lost Phoebe a year ago.

Hiya Rearguard HELPs prevent flystrike, however it is no substitute for keeping your rabbits bottoms clean and more importantly DRY (if you wash their bottoms always dry thoroughly with a hairdryer on the cool setting, as flies lay their eggs in damp skin as much as on droppings).

We do not use Rearguard as it is expensive and a homemade spray of Tea Tree or Citronella that you spray on your bunnies rump twice daily is just as effective and does not contain chemicals.

Back