• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does 'ZZ' mean anything to you?

sueemc

New Kit
My first love, my rabbit of course, was called Sooty and I had her from when I was 9 years old. She died 10 years later, which seemed a good age, she had gone quite grey, and had never been neutered - wasnt very common in those days (80s) and died from uterine cancer.

Anyway, she used to make a wonderful sound when she was happy and larking about.. which I can only describe as a 'ZZ' 'ZZ' sort of noise.. I have had another bun since but she didnt used to do this.

The noise definitely came from her mouth and is like pushing air thru her teeth/or from throat - I likened it to a cat purring.. have you heard a bun do this? or I am mad!

Sue :)

Hi Sue, welcome to the forum. :D

Yup, I know exactly the noise you mean. Our unneutured boy made it when running around our legs (shortly before flicking wee up us! :shock: )

Hnz Hnz Hnz......

The new ones also make is occasionally. There seems to be a slightly longer and louder version that expresses annoyance. Mishka always makes it without fail at supper time when she suddently wakes up to the fact that the others are in the shed without her.

I've heard it called grunting, buzzing and even honking! :lol:

Zeus used to almost purr when we stroked him now he just chatters his teeth. Cosmos makes really loud chattering noises, Violet makes quite ones and Athena just doesn't bite me so I know she is enjoying it ;)!

When both boys were unneutered they also made honking noises when running round my legs (this was a slightly different noise).

Athena also growls like a dog when she thinks you are attacking Zeus or "her" territory (she is spayed :roll: ) she especially does this when I am using the dustpan and brush and usually precedes a leap of claws and teeth and me taking a trip to the store for an new dustpan ;) :lol: !

Caz

Thumper makes that noise when running round my feet, but hes never flicked pee on me while doing it! he only flicks pee when hes jumping about in the garden some times or if i disturbed him when he wants left along

Yup simba does the buzzing round my feet thing too.. he's never sprayed wee anywhere.. and we often have races when he is doing this.

Back