• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are dandelions ok?

Dandelion leaves are fine (I've just given mine some) However, I would be wary of the source and would not give any from just anywhere as you don't know what chemicals or pollutants they have on them (e.g. if they're picked form a roadside they must have petrol or diesel residue on them)

Yes :D My bunnies fave. Long as they're not pesticided or anything. You should see the way they steal the flowers from each other :lol:

I will find out where he got them from, he said loads of people are picking them.

My old bun used to love the leaves but can you give them the whole thinng-including the yellow flower?

Tree said:
My boyfriend just rang to say he's picking some :D

Well my self i prefer a bunch of rose's but if you like dandelions so be it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah they are fine mine love them!!!

Bojangles loved dandies :D as Jill said be careful where you get them from, even grass verges where dogs have been or gardens that you know have visits from other animals :wink: I used to thoroughly wash them :wink: so would strongly advise washing them as you dont know what has been crawling on them :wink: :D I used to pick aload from the bottom of my moms garden and used to put aload in glasses filled with water so that they lasted a few days :D

hi

Yes I'm finally reaping the rewards of being a lazy gardener - my garden is FULL of dandelions!

I've noticed my boys wee gallons when they've had them though, so I only give them about 3 baby leaves a day, for a treat - and a flower cos it's pretty...

But any new veg they've not had before can give them severe stomach upset, so just try half a leaf a day for a week if they've not had it before - and put some extra newspaper down for all that wee :shock:

Another weed they love from my garden is plantain leaves - I've heard they're very good for bunnies.

Sadly I have ragwort too - so I can't use my rabbit run and have to pick everything, including long grass, by hand for them... :(

Edana, Benji and Pepper :love:

Is Ragwort dangerous for bunnies too, I use to have horses and that was always a big no no.

most of it is in the sticky at the top Tree :wink: this is a section of it :D

NOT SAFE:

Arum
Bigwort
Bindweed
Bluebell
Bryony
Buttercup
Celandine
Clover RED
Colchicum
Corncockle
Cowslip
Cuckoo pint
Dog's Mercury
Elder after flowering
Euphorbia
Evergreens
Fool's parsley
Foxglove
Ground ivy
Hemlock
Henbane
Kingcup
Meadow Saffron
Milkweed
Nightshade
Ragwort
Scarlet Pimpernel
Spurge
Toadflax
Tomato LEAVES
Traveller's joy
Beans
Peach leaves
Plum leaves
Potato SPROUTS
Rhubarb
Wood sorrel

hi

I find these lists of weeds so confusing! I thought rabbits could eat bindweed?? Anyone know? - I'll have loads of that in a few months too...

Buttercups are poisonous, but not deadly - Ragwort I've just found out is a 'notifiable weed' - the damage to horses and cattle is so great - and it kills rabbits too - Apparently they will avoid it as it's bitter, but when a farm uses weedkiller on its hay, it makes the dead ragwort leaves taste nicer - and they're still deadly! So farms have to notify the ministry if they have ragwort...

Ragwort causes liver failure as the toxins accumulate there - so it's not a quick death :cry:

I also found out (bit late) that I should wear gloves when I pick it (I got rid of the flowers so it didn't go to seed) - as the toxins can be absorbed through the skin into humans! :shock:

Anyone know about bindweed??

Oh My God,

There are so many bad things, do I need to be checking whats in my bail with a fine tooth comb?

hi

I see plenty of dead (weedkillered) buttercups and dandelions in my hay, but ragwort shouldn't be there as it's strictly monitored (and all farmers are of course honest and assiduous about it - we hope!! :shock: )

Worse - I just swept up the hay from this morning's new bale, and found a DRIED TOADSTOOL stalk - eeek - thankfully it ended up on my kitchen floor not in the bunny's litter tray!

Back