• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - runny poo

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
Morning, this morning I woke up and Oli had done a very runny poo on the carpet (yes the new cream one :roll: ). He does have a problem with sticky bottom but he's never been this bad - he seemed fine and was running about as normal. I'm not sure if he had been doing normal poos too - I think so but it's hard to tell as they use the same tray.

I fed them a big piece of cauliflower yesterday and was wondering whether this might have caused it? Also gave them some parsley which they hadn't had for a while - I don't understand why this has happened but I threw away all their old greens and gave them all new stuff this morning just in case it was any of that stuff which has made him ill. I am going home early from work (at lunch) and will keep an eye on him and take him to the vets this afternoon if it carries on.

Anyone got any tips on this? He was honestly fine last night and rolling about all over the place, he was so relaxed - I have never seen him so playful or relaxed. What is wrong? b-m

No idea BM. But i do hope that he's feeling better when you get home. lots of get well vibes coming to you

Thank you Phill - I am very worried. Did not really want to leave him this morning but other than the poo he seemed normal :?: :?

This is what happenned to sugar last week when i was off!!! it was so runny she had it every where!!! i had to clean out by the babies nest as she done it there!!! and i had to try and bathe her which was fun!!!

I gave her more hay and it cleared up after a day so it wasn't so bad!!!

What is his diet usually? Some bunnies tums are more sensitive than others and a bit of extra veg is enough to set um off.

What brand of dry food do you feed? Feeding too much of this or a brand too low in fibre can often cause problems.

How much hay does he eat? He should be eating a good handful or two a day atleast! IF he's not you need to reduce his other types of food to encourage him to eat more hay.

Tam

Hi Tamsin, they normally eat Super Excel - I give them only 2oz twice a day (Oli is 5lbs, Sylvia 9lbs). I also give them a pile of veg, normally fresh spring greens and celery cut up. He is fine with this, but lately I added some cauliflower (two lg florrets yesterday - although Sylvia I think ate most of it) and a large sprig of parsley, which I have given them before but not for some weeks. They also have unlimited access to hay, but I haven't seen Oli eating that much of it lately.

Do you think I should cut down on the pellets and maybe the 'new' veg to try and encourage him to eat more hay? b-m

Hiya, I think cutting back on the veg/pellets for awhile to see if you can get him to eat more hay is a good idea :) 2oz of pellets is about right but you could try switching to the lite version of excel if you can get it as this is higher in fibre than the standard one. Some bunnies seem to get runny poop on the standard one.

Putting hay in his litter tray, hiding the pellets in the hay and stuff toys with hay can also help encourage them to eat it ;)

Tam

Hi

I'd cut out the veg and pellets immediatley and just put him on hay and water for just a few days. A Probiotic in the water would be good and monitor him. These are just a few ideas, once you start seeing normal poos back slowly introduce the pellets back into his diet but keep the hay intake the main bulk of the food and also keep him off the veg.

HTH

Rachel

Hi, well he seemed to return to normal very quickly. I have cut back on the pellets and increased hay and certain veg (high fibre, low carb) and it seems to have done the trick :D

Back