• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scent Glands

Toby

Banned
Tam and Adele I know I can’t really post but I am a little concerned.

I have just been examining Toby as his had one of his quite days today (nothing knew), and I have noticed something strange in his private area.

In-between his “sacks” (sorry his not been done) and his…you know….man hood (tinkle, lol) I have see that there are, like black bits coming through the skin! I though it was a dropping at first that was stuck to his skin but when I touched it, it didn’t move! It was then, that I knew it was coming from inside. I am going to book him into the vets as I am a bit concerned…but it could have been there ages….I dunno…

It is more so on the left side but has the same slightly on the right.

What are these black bits and why are they coming through the skin??? Toby always has a clean bottom.

Toby seems fine within himself....

Emma, i noticed this in rex once just after he ahd been done and it was a bit of gunck just up the slits at the sides of his you know what, it's proberbly something simple try not to worry to much and see what the vet says XX Hugs from the Zoo

I think that those bits are prob coming from his scent glands. It can be very smelly if you try to clean it, but having them there is normal!! It may be that they require cleaning if stuff is coming out, I'm sure somebody else will know a little bit more about them!

I'm sure it is nothing major to worry about tho :D

Nicola

Emma - no need to worry - it's his scent glands and they need a clean out :) He's at the age of keeping himself really clean but maybe can't get to them bits like he used to do.
Best thing to do - and what we do for the elderly, disabled etc - we have some cotton buds and a bit of warm water- we clean out one gland first and then when we have done that we put some baby oil on a cotton bud and pop that into the gland - saves any irritation. We then go out of the room and into the fresh air for ten mins :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :roll:
Then we do the other gland - same procedure - just be a little bit gentle with the black bits as they are hard and crusty - even though you have to be gentle you still have to be tough with the blighters :roll:
Wear a gas mask :lol: :lol: :lol: I always think that the scent glands smell like tom cat pee - ugh :shock:

Yep sounds like scent glands warm water and a gentle pressure should sort it out. Be aware that the smell is really bad so if your a smoker light up before you start :shock:

If your still worried though as you say get him into the vets. :)

Yep, I'd agree with the other, especially if there is abit each side, definately sounds like his scent glads. They're kinda of in a fold of skin so most of the time you won't notice them unless you are looking.

Tam

Thanks for the advice guys I nearly had a heart attack. I gotta admit I never knew that…..i thought it was a growth or something. The dark bits poking out are like little black plates, and it’s at each side of the….you know….anal (sorry I dunno any other word for it) and sack area….I am not kidding you it’s like the spaghetti junction. :lol:

Yeah that sounds like the right area for scent glands Emma... and take note of Jaypot's posting about the gasmask and fresh air!! You will need it! I never done the baby oil bit before.. does it help stop the build up jaypot? I sometimes wipe Simba/Nala's out with the babywipe while im doing the rest of their bottom area. Is this ok or will it make it sore then?

Diddeen said:
Yeah that sounds like the right area for scent glands Emma... and take note of Jaypot's posting about the gasmask and fresh air!! You will need it! I never done the baby oil bit before.. does it help stop the build up jaypot? I sometimes wipe Simba/Nala's out with the babywipe while im doing the rest of their bottom area. Is this ok or will it make it sore then?

Well, we've always found that some of the muck can be that tough that just incase of irritation we use the oil as a soother more so - having said that, it does help keep the muck down for a while if bun has difficulty cleaning that area. Gosh, but it's such a stinky job :shock:

Yeah it is.. as i have to clean nala's bottom every day ive started do the glands at the same time.. and have now got into the routine of doing Simbas daily too.. doesnt smell much at all when i do them now.

Awwww Emma you're a great bunny mummy!! You wouldn't be if you didn't worry! xxxx

Have to admit I've never heard about these scent glands before either. Luckily Darcy seems to keep all of that under control at the mo!!

glad everyone has made a diagnosis and put your mind at rest! - who needs the vets ay when you have RU? :lol: :lol: :thumb:

Pardon me for being thick but have I missed something - why can't you post??

You will have to ask Tam or Adele as I can't say why unfortunately :?

Thanks for the help you guys - I need to get some cotton buds as I have just run out, and ill be on to the job. Without sounding thick though....can I ask why rabbits have these glands....is it for territory? Sorry when it comes to that part of the body I am useless. :lol:
:?

...Also, what sort of wipes/baby oil do you guys use? I have gone in the shop and there are a couple of different makes. I am also keeping in mind that the rabbit will lick himself after being cleaned so would they be ok?

Well I did it, and I think it was his glands. It went well and didn’t pong too much….I am kinda surprised really I was all prepared :lol: . His having a sulk now but his all cleaned out. I also used some baby oil as well. Is Baby Oil isn’t harmful for buns is it if they lick it in their fur?

Mmmm scent glands. Ok are all scent glands the same size or do they go by the size of the bunster and if so does that mean that the bigger the gland the bigger/worse the smell :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

hahaha im not sure about that Mark. I do know that my buck's scent is alot stronger than my doe's.

Emma.. i think they use the scent glands alot in mating.. if u ever see a doe with a buck the doe flicks her tail up which id guess lets out her scent 8) When Simba used to bonk my teddy/Nala id get a sudden whiff of his scent so i guess when they are mating they let it all flow out :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nala's scent glands have been quite sore the last few days as her bottom is always wet so ive been putting vaseline on the areas and its all healed up today. Baby oil and vaseline and baby wipes.. cant see how any can be harmful as u can put them all on your own baby's hands/face and they can easily digest it but causes no harm. I got asda's own make babywipes with a light fragrance :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back