• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vac question????

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi can a rabbit have his mysi a month early (if think) the lady that had boeing said she thinks her mysi is due in may, but i have booked her in for tommorrow to have it done, but wondered if its ok!!

Eve x

BirdieBun said:
i would say it is ok cos bunnies in "high risk" areas have a myxi jab every 6 months :D

well by rights this would be after 5 months and i dont think i am in a high risk area, just saves me going again next month really, feel like i spend my like there at the moment! :lol:

just go for it tomorrow :D i have vets again Friday for Flash "balls" or should I say "ball-less" check up. hopefully that will be it for the vets - touch wood until Flash's jabs next year :D

I'm sure I read somewhere that this vaccination shouldn't be given before a 6 month interval, and that is why bunnies which are 'dumped' etc have to wait before being vaccinated - to make sure there is a 6 month gap :?

Can't for the life of me remember where I read this - let me go and check :?

Hi again

Nope, I think I was wrong :lol: (although I'm a stubborn devil and still believe I read that somewhere :wink: ).

There was a previous post on 'over vaccinating' and Adele quoted

We have this dilemma when bunnies arrive that we do not know the history of, or if they have been vaccinated.
My Vet said that giving a vaccine if it has already been done recently should not be harmful, the body will just not take it up properly as antibodies will have already been formed.
The risk of leaving a bunny unvaccinated is much greater than vaccinating too regularly, especially if it is just on one occasion.

Heres the link:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3430&highlight=myxi+vaccination

We asked the vet about this as all our bunnies were due their vaccines at different times and we wanted to get them in sync. He said there was no problem, and we got them all done and they were all fine.

Kathy in Nottingham said that about her new bunnies to me Lynn re the VHD vaccine when I asked if Cosmos was vaccinated.

I have held off so I can get them all done together next month.

Caz

Back