• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pulling fur out!!!

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi All,

My bun has started pulling clumps of fur out of his chest, just underneath his mouth/head. Its also falling out in clumps when i stroke him there. Is he moulting or is this some reaction to his treatment for mites? Hes has two out the three injections so far.

Also, he has a bald patch around his bits :? he was neutered back in january so im not sure if this has anything to do with that or whether there isnt supposed to be any hair there anyway (you can tell im a new bunny mommy cant you!!)

I sweetie i don't know what the problem is but i would give the vet a ring and ask if he could have had a reaction to the mite treatment.

Good luck hope your bun is ok :D

That sounds like he is moulting (heavily as it is his winter coat) and it is just bad timing to coincide with the mites!

I shouldn't think there is any reaction to the injection itself as my vet never warned me about possible side effects.

Usually hair loss occurs if the mite infection is severe and left untreated so as you are treating in this case I would put it down to coincidental timing with his Spring moult!

Caz

Thanks Caz, you`ve put my mind at rest!!

My vet never mentioned side effects either, hes got his last jab on Monday anyway. The mites seem to be going, hes not scratching as much as he was, thank god!

How long do they moult for? Hes making a right mess of all my clothes!!! The clothes brush is worn out!!!

Zeus' never seems to end :roll:. The others it is 2-3 weeks depending on how heavy.

I usually speed it along with regular plucking and grooming with a slicker brush.

I shouldn't worry about the patch where he was neutered as it will take a while to grow back and probably come back with this next hair growth.

Caz

yep that's normal, all 3 of mine are doing that now. it's the moulting season unfortunately which make's it quite messy in there hutches. :?

Back