• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed...:o)

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
I am going away for an overnight stay soon and will be away from the Sat morning until Sun evening.

The problem is I have no-one to look after Skip close by and it will be a nightmare having to take him somewhere else just for 1 night. Is there anything i could do so that he could have food....like a dispensor??

One neighbour has a boy who i cannot trust would come into the house and harm him (he wanted to pick him up last time he saw him--a no-no Skip was scared) and my other neighbour is hardly ever in. Plus i just moved here and don't want to ask them. Any ideas has anyone else had this problem??

Are you an rwa member? The do a buddy scheme where members look after or check in on other members buns.

I've just been up to see my Mum and was away from abut 10 am. one morning and got back at 7 pm. the next evening. I made sure they had a ton of hay and the water bottles were full and they were fine.

I know you can get the food and water feeding dispensers that some people use for dogs and cats when they go away. I have seen them on ebay and also local pet store

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20747&item=4370137684&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20747&item=4369766700&rd=1

or argos have these:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...Pet+equipment&categoryId=21513&clickfrom=name

But i think as long as there is plenty of food and water left out as luvabun said, then things should be fine.
you could always leave a tv or radio on low too for company while you are not there.
I always leave mine on for my dogs when i go out, even if i pop out for 5 mins.

Kelly xx

Jack's been left alone for about that length of time before, and was none the worse for it (although I was worried sick!). Our rabbit-sitter had a car crash while we were away, and had to go to hospital, so Jack was left alone for some time, I think he even missed a meal or two (although he had plent of hay and water).

If you can't find anyone, I think its a short enough period of time to leave your bun alone, although not ideal... in the same situation I would maybe bury food in hay or in a toy so he doesn't eat it all at once and also has something to do so he doesn't get bored. I've seen food dispensers for cats and dogs but they were plastic, and if your bun is anything like mine I think it would get thrown around, and chewed - I use heavy ceramic bowls and Jack still tries to chew them!!

Hope you manage to find somebody, but Skip should be ok if you can't - its always difficult finding someone to trust with pets when you're new to an area!

kate said:
Hope you manage to find somebody, but Skip should be ok if you can't - its always difficult finding someone to trust with pets when you're new to an area!

Off topic but well done Kate on the sig pic! It shows the buns off lovely :thumb:

Thanks everyone, Luva bun sounds like my only option at the moment so i will just stock him up on hay and water.

thing is I dont think you should have posted on here that you will be going away and leaving him as I for one will be straight round to bunnyknap his cos he looks such a character and is such a stunning bunny! :wink: :lol: :lol:

If only you lived closer Birdiebun!! I would let you bunnyknap him for one day only then i would be too lonely :lol:

oooohhh don't think I could give him back it is his face when he looks upwards and his front feet neatly together like on that piccie you had of him, he is gorgeous!!!

Hiya, I've done it as well, by accident went to V on the Sunday monrning expected to be home on the evening got back on the Monday Morning, only had Bea then. but she was fine she still had dried food hay and water in her dispenser.

:D

Burgess do a food dispensor with a built in hay rack.
They are metal and hang on the side of the cage.
We use them when we are at shows, fund raisers etc.
I have a spare one if you want it pm me.

Other than that as the others have said lots of hay and a big water bottle and he'll be fine I'm sure. :D

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest....going to a Sci-Fi convention (other love of my life!!)

Can't wait :D :D

linnyloo said:
Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest....going to a Sci-Fi convention (other love of my life!!)

Can't wait :D :D

John and Scoot will be extremely jealous :? I hope that Scoot doesn't read this mail or he will nag us to death :roll: :roll:

I am sure Skip will be fine for just one day and night and he will be very excited to see you when you return!

I have just returned from a week long holiday and had to leave Mabel with my boyfriends mum. She is excellent with her and I am sure she had been very spoilt but I always find it difficult leaving her. I was actually dying to get home to see her! How sad!!

I live in Bromley which is not far from you so if you ever find yourself really stuck I would happily pop in on your gorgeous bun! Although I might try and and whisk him away so that Mabel can have a playmate! :D

Michelle

Thanks for the offer...i work near to Bromley and used to live in Orpington so i know that area well.

Skip is not neutuered so you could'nt let him too near Mabel!!! :shock:

Back