• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Coco

Thumps

Alpha Buck
Ok vets trip was ok, not overly productive however but its a start. Vet tried to express his bladder but didn't get anywhere so I guess it was empty :evil: Coco Bean!!!! I told him to fill it up before we went but the sod must have emptied it instead. Anyway's Im left with the joy of trying to get a sample from him, any ideas on the best way to get a sterile sample? If I can't get one by Wednesday I will take him back and ask the vet to try again.
Other than that the vet said he was a bit underweight, :oops: poor guy is all skin and bones, doesn't sound too good does it??? I did cut down his pellets a couple of months ago as he was having poopy bum probs so it could be to do with this. The vet said ok up his pellets and see if we can get him to gain. I meant to weight him last night but he was a bit annoyed by the end of the day with having a bum wash, well rinse as I just used water, he was 4kgs 3 weeks ago hopefully he isn't under that now! I have some dermisol cream which I used on his scald patches and they are now pink instead of bright red so hopefully they feel a bit better too. He now has a nice bald bum too :lol: poor thing he hasn't any luck just now. Since his trim on Thursday he has been a bit drier thankfully.
I did mention oats for weight gain but the vet didn't seem overly keen on that idea and suggested the Excel junior pellets or just upping his normal pellets and veggies, that won't be a problem to him :D Is this a good plan or would oats be better for him, if so health shop oats or can you get decent ones from the likes of Asda then sieve them to get rid of the dust. Any ideas on amounts?
Angela

Poor Coco :( The indignities he's having to go through :( I'm sorry I can't think of any way of getting a sterile sample from him.

I know oats can definitely put weight on. I use the organic jumbo oats I get from a health shop, jumbo oats have more fibre than rolled (porridge) oats and less dust, I've never had a problem with them having soft poos or other problems with jumbo oats either so unless he had a medical reason not to I'd personally add some. I think somewhere between a teaspoon and dessert spoon mixed in with his pellets would be a usual amount. All rabbits are different so I can't guarantee it'd be right for him, it's just my own thought.

I hope you find out his problem soon

Glad to hear the skin on his little bald bum it getting a bit better, which is a good sign. Sending lots of bunny hugs his way :D

Back