• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

POPPY POORLY, PLEASE HELP!!!

Kerri C

Mama Doe
Im so worried, got to go to work now, but my Husband is home to check on Poppy, and will take her to the vets if necessary. Poppy is laid in her litter tray and wont eat. She ate her tea last night, and the only thing I gave her that was different was a very small handful of grass with a few dandelions mixed in. She had some on Friday night too and was fine. I cant tell whether she is going to the toilet as her litter tray already had some droppings in from yesterday. The grass and dandelions were just from the garden, so no toxic chemicals or anything on them and there were hardly any to give her bloat. Im worried sick, I have to go to b****y work now and wont be home until 4.45pm tonight. I have told Chris to make me a vets apt if she is now eating by dinner time. What do you think it could be?

arh kerri

i dont know what it could be, but sending get well vibes to poppy, hope she starts to ear soon!!! let us know

Eve x

Sounds like it might be bloat. :? Do you have some Infacol, or can you send hubby out to get some? If he's worried about giving it, my o/h just puts it on Evo's paw, then Evo licks it off. I usually give one dropper full, then another 1/2 hour later if no improvement. It can't hurt, and it might stop the bloat developing into full stasis, if that's what it is.

Oh dear, I am very sorry to hear that Poppy is out of sorts :(
It does sound like bloat or a bladder infection, I think it is paramount you get her to the vets for a check up, as if it is bloat developing then the Vet can give drugs to get her guts moving quickly.
Speed is the essence with these things...in the meantime, ask your partner to give Poppy a tummy massage every hour to try and stimulate things to keep moving, and a quarter teaspoon of Kittymalt ..(can be given at same time as infacol..infacol helps reduce wind/ colic)..however, unless you know what you are treating it is not easy, and the Vet should be your first port of call if Poppy is eating by lunchtime.
I would offer her some hay, and a small piece of herb to see if she will take it...no greens, veggies or dried food for a few days though, as if it is bloat her tum needs time to settle down.
Is Poppy drinking okay? if you are able to syringe some water into her then do so..but make sure she is swollowing it, else water can go into the lungs in a sickly bunny...it is important to keep the fluid intake up though with any illness in bunnies, especially in bloat as it helps flush the guts out.
If Poppy is drinking alright by herself then dont worry about syringing her, just monitor the amount shs is drinking.
Has Poppy passed droppings? are they small and hard, or large and fibrous?
Bunnies usually need some form of treatment for bloat though, unless you can get things moving with gentle tummy massage.
We are thinking of you and Poppy, good luck and let us know how she is later.

Oh Kerri!!! I'm so sorry Poppy is not well. Hopefully it will pass and she will be better soon. Do keep us updated. I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I have no expereience of this. I'm keeping everything crossed. I love that little Poppy shes such a sweet bun. Sending you lots of love and healing vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Skip has done this before....i gave him his breakfast and he ignored it and just sat without moving and seemed ill.

When i drove home at lunchtime to check on him he had eaten his food and all was back to normal. I think sometimes they must get stomach aches and not feel too good.

But if she hasn't eaten it by lunchtime then i would take her to the vets. Each time it happens (prob about 3 times) i am in panic mode and it's always on the worse day like when i'm at work! and i work quite far away from my home and don't have a car to drive myself back (have to rely on OH)

Hope all is well

POOR POPPY! Hope she gets well soon Kerri she is a lovely bun. Fingers crossed she feels better this afternoon.

Must be something in the air as i have just come back from the vets with huggies as he had collapsed again. His tummy was full of gas and the vet gave him an injection to get his bowels moving as he was trying to poo and couldn't. He is back in the playhouse now and looking very sorry for himself. Thank god i was off work. Have to check on him throughout the day and if no improvement or he still hasn't eaten have to take him back. On the positive side he has done this twice before and recovered well from the treatment.
Hope poppy is feeling better, sending you lots of love and hugs xxxx

Sending Snuggles to Poppy - hope she is doing o.k - they are such a worry arn't they but there's some brill advice here for you and were all rooting for you and your lovely bunster.

AWW thank you all for your replies. Sorry I couldnt reply sooner, I have just got home from work. My Husband rang me at 11am to say she is eating again (phew!!) and she did a binky when I went into the shed to feed her just now. She still seems a bit quiet, but certainly not as poorly as she was this morning.

Im on my way to Tesco now to go and get some herbs, what do you recommend Adele? I cant tell whether she has passed any more droppings as there were some in there anyway, and she was laid in the litter tray this morning and I didnt want to hurt her stomach by picking her up. I have put some more bedding over the top of the old ones, so I can tell if she passes any more after her tea (she usually goes for England!!).

If not, I will ring the vet and take her straight down. I havent got any of that infacol Adele, do you get it from the vets?

Kerri.. infacol is the stuff u can give babies for colic. You can get it from chemists or even supermarkets may sell it.
Not sure which herbs are best but mine love Coriander and parsley.
Glad Poppy is feeling better.. its soo scarey when they are off colour.

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your replies and especially to Adele and Tamsin (pm messages) for their advice!! Poppy is 100% again and eating and pooing like no tomorrow (and binkying!). I got some infacol yesterday, but she was already going to the loo properly when I got home and eating and drinking normally. I gave her some basil and Ralf and they ate that too!! Thank you very much to you all, couldnt have done it without you!! xx

aaahh, I am so pleased to hear that your beautiful Poppy is well again, what a relief, please give her a snuggle from us, and hugs for you.

Best wishes

So glad she is feeling better :) It really was a day of it yesterday wasn't it!! 3 buns with poorly tums, lots of vet visits there!

Nicola

Back