• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sand???

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
I know many people use sand for their bunnie's digging boxes, but my question is...what kind? Is regular children's play sand ok?

I should think it would have to be kiddie sand as builders sand stains and isn't safe to eat ;) !

Aquatic sand would also be fine as it is pre-washed but twice the price of kiddie sand so most fishie people use kiddie sand in their tanks and wash it themselves so if it is fine for fish and kids - it should be fine for rabbits!

Caz

We use builders sand mixed with organic compost, we were advised that play sand is too fine :? and gets stuck in coats, ears and eyes, so guess it'll have to be your choice :lol:

Builders sand stains everything bright yellow though and can be toxic I thought! :?:

Caz

:? mmmmm.......well nothing turned bright yellow in our experience, maybe cos it's more organic compost than sand, or maybe it depends on which supplier you get it from. We've been using it for nearly a year now and no ill effects :?

bunnyhuggger said:
:? mmmmm.......well nothing turned bright yellow in our experience, maybe cos it's more organic compost than sand, or maybe it depends on which supplier you get it from. We've been using it for nearly a year now and no ill effects :?

I won't get sand off my dad again then!! ;)

Caz

Ask Bunnylove as she has a sand pit with lots of sand in it for her bunnies. I have a feeling she uses sand for children...

Ooh a digging box sounds like fun. Might stop Casey from attacking the carpet.

What size box would be best, just a regular plastic storage box or something else?

Obviously never tried this before.

I think I"m just going to use a sort of flat, plastic bin. You know, kind of like the children sandbox.

**one more outdoor question. I want to build my rabbit run where there is a huge partch of mud right now. I will want to lay down some grass so I was wondering if sod(or what ever the grass that comes in strips, pre-grown) is okey for buns. I would wait a couple of weeks before they went to the grass. Is this ok?

Wherever you lay grass there needs to be loads of drainage otherwise it'll just die. It would be better if it was allowed a season to 'take' and hopefully get rid of any chemicals which might be in the grass/soil (depending on where you get the turf from). It might also be an idea to lay galvanised mesh under the turf so that they can't dig out.

Back