• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Views on a leash/harness

Milo

Young Bun
Are they a bad idea or not? I have never tried them before so i don't know. It would be easier then setting a pen up outside in my back yard, but if they hate it then I wouldn't do it.

Well if anybody has used them or knows about them some input would be great.

Thank you!

BTW: I ask tons of questions, sorry o.o'

I am thinking about building a pen for summer, but right now I do need to take my bun outside so I do use a harness. I know a lot of people frown on them but I dont understand why. I bought the right harness that will keep my bun safe, I make sure its on the rightway, and I walk him only in safe areas. I say its great if you have a great harness and you make sure the bun is safe!!! :D :D

I tried a harness with Zeus and he skitzed mainly I think because the bit that went round his chest was too tight. He will walk on a dog leesh but usually only where he wants to go :roll: !

I never bothered with the others as I have the pens.

It really depends on the rabbit, some take to it easily - others can't stand it!

Caz

You have to keep up with the bunny and hold the lead up so it doesn't tangle around their legs. If you don't fancy bounding round the garden like a loon then a harness probably isn't the best plan. If you fancy a bit of exercise then go for it. We used to use harnesses, but the little devils used to clamber under bushes and get the leads all tangled up.

It very much depends on the rabbit.
I used to use a harness for Blueberry with no problems - except running round the garden with her! you have to keep up so the harness doesn't pull.
I wont try one with Brian as I know he would hate it, you need quite a laid back bunny.

bbj.jpg

I used to have harnesses for all the buns (when i only had 4) they loved them but my family grew in size and it got a bit silly, mine loved going out in theres!! :D

It's also best to make sure you have one more person than you have bunnies so they can rescue you when the bunny decides to explore somewhere awkward.

Has anyone tried this type of harness? Is it any better than the normal strappy kind? I've tried the strappy kind on Joey and he hated it (although it was probably about a year ago now.) Thought I might order one of these, he might feel a bit more secure.

I'd like to take him out in the nice weather but I live in a flat and the garden is comunal, not very handy.

(forgot to add the link!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63513&item=4370830082&rd=1

I think putting a Rabbit on a harness is a bad idea. I've seen a nasty accident when a Rabbit got its leg caught in the harness The Rabbit was panicking that much it took the owner a while to free the leg. The Rabbit could easily of broken his leg and was in shock for several hours after.

Definitely a no no on my book. Even if you watch the Rabbit all he time it can still easily and quickly get caught up.

Louise

My rabbit hates the harness and also hates being in a run!!! He just sits there and refuses to move or eat...i think it because he was spoilt early on.

The first place i lived had a balcony which he had free run off, the second place i never took him out in the garden as we had nasty neighbours....the type of people you would be afraid would kill your rabbit just for a laugh :cry: :cry:

Now i have at last bought my own place with a tiny garden which he has free run off (although i go out with him) and is near impossible to escape from (although they love sneaking anywhere that resembles a tunnel eg:behind the shed where i cannot get him :twisted: )
They tend to go mad when they have free run and fly everwhere. :D

I want to get Darcy a lead but I was going for the strappy kind so not so much restriction as I'd like to take him for a walkie in a nearby park in the City that is dead at the weekends so no dogs or cats thank heavens.

yeah and I want to take my bunny maybe to my mom's to start with as we don't have a garden so if I took him there he could munch on her grass :D

Romy said:
I want to get Darcy a lead but I was going for the strappy kind so not so much restriction as I'd like to take him for a walkie in a nearby park in the City that is dead at the weekends so no dogs or cats thank heavens.

Wish there was somewhere like that near me!

Joey hated the strappy kind and as it was a buckle fastening one it took a wee while to get it off him when he was struggling. That's why I've not tried it on him again. I was hoping that the stretchy jacket kind might make him feel more secure, plus it has velcro fastening for quick release. Anyone had any experience of using the stretchy jacket type harness?

We use a harness for our rabbits and they love it.
Never had any problems, just watch them and be careful. We only let them run around on the lawn.

We have the kind with a buckle, never tried the other kind, but might invest in one so they can run around together.

Never tried taking them to the park, there's a little common just down the road that's rarely used. Might give that a go sometime.

I recently brought a harness and lead for fudge, I was a bit wary at first and my family didn't approve,not like i'm going to take her for a walk round the streets...she takes me for a run in the garden. Fudge seems to loves it. It gives her loads more room to run than any rooms in the house or her run............but yes watch out you've got to be preparred to shoot of in any direction quite fast when they want to go. My mum had some entertainment yesterday as she saw me flying up the garden. :lol: I enjoy it to though, seeing her run, binkying and jumping so high, but I have to hold the lead high when she runs so's not to get tangled up.

wow thanks for all the advice everyone! I think i'm going to give it a shot. If i find a really nice/safe harness i'm sure he will be fine.

Thanks! :D

i have used a harness on my 3 past rabbits and on simba too. Only prob i have with simba is he insists on trying to hide behind bushes/plantpots and we get all tangled up. Thing an idea is to extend the lead the harness comes with as sometimes if there is a loud noise simba suddenly flies off without warning and i have to run very fast.

Merlin, our dwarf lop buck, enjoys the harness and bounds around the garden trying to find something to nibble. I would be a bit unsure about the park idea because I would worry about chemicals on the grass, dogs weeing, etc. Also I wouldn't go beyond the garden where I live because of the wild rabbits and the risk of myxy.

Forgot to say, we use the comfy harness kind which is a bit fiddly to get on but seems a good one otherwise. It has a stretchy kind of lead which seems to make things easier.

Lynsey

Lynsey said:
Forgot to say, we use the comfy harness kind which is a bit fiddly to get on but seems a good one otherwise. It has a stretchy kind of lead which seems to make things easier.

Lynsey

I got Joey's comfy harness today in the post, the stretchy lead does seem like a good idea. I'm waiting a while till he's fully recovered from getting neutered before trying him with it. Hopefully he'll like it and can get out for a wee while in the summer.

Back