• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ratty Haven Faces Closer - Animals need homes ASAP

I am very sorry to have to make this post and although everything may well be ok in the end I have to prepare for the worst for the sake of the rabbits and other animals here at the centre or they may well be all PTS.

As many of you know I run Ratty Haven Rodent Rescue in Exmouth, Devon. Well the council marched on to my property and have decided I need planning permission, I don't know what is going on as the council tell me one thing and then say another.

From what I can understand I have 2 months to make the application and send them £300. I don't have £300 and don't know how I am meant to rasie it either. But is this isn't rasised then the centre has to close and accprding to the council the animals have to be removed.

Even if this money is rasied the application can still be rejected. So Ratty Haven will still have to close. I am devistated about the whole thing as my family and my self have put so much effort into the centre including spending the last of our family savings on the heated shed, which will have to be ripped down.

I am not feeling very well phycially or mentally at present and I sturggling to cope with all that is happening around me. All the animals need to find new homes ASAP just to be safe as I would be more able to concentrate on the planning isuues when I know I don't have X amount of animals which could face being PTS in two months.

I am unable to offer transport for any animals due to me current state but if anyone can offer a home to any of the rabbits here please let me know. I may take a while in getting back to you, but I will do.

Here is a basic list of rabbits at the centre:

Parsley & Thyme - adult does part of a curlety case very nervous but good with other rabbits.

Halfa Rabbit - found as a stray mini lop agouti don't know his age just been castrated, very friendly and easy to handle

Billy & Jackie - Dwaft lop castreated and black and white english billy is 1yr & Jackie is 3yrs. Both very friendly (these may have homes but not 100% sure)

Nero - fluffy black buck due in to be castrated in the next two weeks, nice chap needs lots of exercise

Dax - black & white lop due to be castrated in the next couple of weeks, nice boy

Bam Bam - black & white lion head x 30 weeks nice boy due to be castrated in the next couple of weeks

Thumpa - black lop x 30 weeks nice lad very tame loves cuddles castrated a few days ago

Flo - chinchilla lop nice girl not been here long

Buddy & Dotty - lion head x buddy found as a stray castrated light brown Dotty 9 months black & white

Violet - very aggressive nightmare rabbit found as a stray needs very special home.

Eyor - black & white lop x 20 months old. Nice bunnie just been castrated

Sammy - black & white lion head x 9 months nice boy just been castrated.

I also have many many rats which need homes as well as one female guinea pig who sister died and 3 hamsters. I am hoping I will be able to keep my own pets.

This all sounds terrible Siobhan. I wonder if anyone if your area could help with some local fund raising for all the work you do. Perhaps a little publicity could help too - have you tried contacting your local paper?

Best of luck with it all

Lynsey

Oh no, I am sorry to hear about this. I do know how you feel though. A few months ago after several complaints from the neighbours (they didnt like the noise from the birds in our aviaries) we had a hell of a battle with the council as to if we needed planning permission or not. Fortunatly they decided we didnt need it but I can imagine how I would have felt if the decission would have been different.
I have a few spaces here and rehoming is going well at the moment. I will help out where possible if you want me too. I can take rabbits, guinea pigs and any small animals. I have 18th/19th off work and could drive down then to pick some up. Let me know if you want me to help.

Cheryl
Sprowston guinea pig rescue

Thats so sad, why cant people see when someone is helping others be it humans or animals. You have/are doing a great job.

I would love to take one of your bucks for my Squishie but its so far away :cry:

WonderBunn said:
Thats so sad, why cant people see when someone is helping others be it humans or animals. You have/are doing a great job.

I would love to take one of your bucks for my Squishie but its so far away :cry:

Perhaps a bunny run could be organised? :wink:

Flo - chinchilla lop nice girl not been here long

Someones was after one of these werent they?
I do hope you manage to find homes for your rabbits siobhan.. how awful for you.

ohhh Siobhan :( :( I am really sorry to hear this :( especially when you had turned things around for the better in just a few short months :( We can all relate to how stressed you are at this moment, and we all feel for you greatly :(

I know ideally you would like permanent homes for them all, but perhaps some could be fostered until it is decided whether you have to close or not. Either way, I would be more than happy to be a bunnypit stop should a home be found that requires a bunny run :wink: :)

I have everything crossed for you Siobhan :) I really do hope that all your hard work, love and care of these poor little needy furries is able to carry on :)

Take care of yourself :)

I just feel so useless, there is nothing I can do.

Many of the animals at the centre have been saved from being PTS only to be facing it again. I am more than happy to send bunnies off to foster homes or rescues, I just can't bare the thought of them being PTS. I just hope we get the permission. I would rather have no animals here and be told it is ok to carry on that lots here and be told I can't.

For anyone wishing to foster a bunnie until the fate of Ratty Haven is known they can go to foster homes with their hutches and if we get the permission they can come back, but I would only want that to happen locally as I think it would be too much stress on the bunnies. and a lot of travelling.

God knows what will happen :cry:

You could try a new topic Siohban entitled ' fosterers required in the Exmouuth area' :wink: :D see what sort of response you get :wink:

Are all your animals listed above :?: is that nine singles and 3 pairs :?: 1 guinea pig, 3 hamsters and how many rats :?: :?:

about 60+ i think I don't really know. I know many people in the rat world and two people have offered to take big batches if the worst come to the worst. I am hoping by moving some of the rats inside things will be ok, but the rabbits are my biggest worry, as I can't have them in the house at all.

I forgot two bunnies off the list

Bubbles & Rosemary - bubbles is a year old agouti x breed castaated and rosemary was born here on 1/11/04 they are nice rabbits but hate being picked up. Oh rose is white

Try not to worry to much Siobhan, easier said than done I know :( but I am sure something can be worked out if the worst comes to :) I know you are on the pet rescue site, have you had much joy there :?:

If you can try and get some updated pictures of the bunnies up on here and RR :wink: :)

I am so sorry to hear this, you don't deserve this at all :cry: :cry: You do so much good for the creatures that pass through your hands. I wish I could take more rabbits from you. Or that I was closer and could foster for you as a temporary measure. If the worst happens I will take a couple for you and try to rehome them, but it could only be temporary as I am at capacity now.

I am sure I will be able to take a couple with a view to re homing if someone can bring them to me. I will PM you with my 'phone number when I have sorted out my hutches tomorrow and can give you an idea of the size buns I can accommodate. My heart goes out to you, hang on in there I am sure we will be able to help you. Alice

Hi there

I offered to take Violet last time, but I never heard back from you, so maybe in London I am too far away?

If you think I and the Mayhew Animal Home can help at all, then please do let me know, as I will be up there on Tuesday, and can talk to them about how many they could take from you. I have rehomed a few of their rabbits and may be able to take some of yours..............

Please get back to me before Tuesday if you need my help, as if they make a commitment to you, it is definite! I cannot come and collect from you, but maybe there could be some Bunderground???!!!

I'm full at the moment although they are starting to go.
I can take the guinea for rehoming if you like.
Let me know in a couple of weeks what you still need to move as I have a few being picked up soon and may ba able to help with some of the rabbits.
My main problem is that i had another rescue contact me this week saying they were closing down and had 18 rabbits to find homes for.
Keep me posted, and good luck.
Chin up :)

Oh Siobhan, I'm so sorry to hear this. These stupid red tape rules are just so annoying when it comes justified needs like this. I really hope this sorts itself out very soon. Lots of love xxxxxxxxxx

Back