• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can anyone help??????????

kelly-louise

Young Bun
i have been told that rabbits need two mixy jabs a year is that true or is this a money making scheme ????????????????????????????

kelly

Yes it is advisable to get rabbits vaccinated twice yearly against Myxomatosis, even house rabbits :)

My vet used to say once a year in low risk areas in Spring or twice a year in high risk areas.

Now he is leaning towards twice a year for everybunny!

Caz

Caz said:
My vet used to say once a year in low risk areas in Spring or twice a year in high risk areas.

Now he is leaning towards twice a year for everybunny!

Caz
thats exactly what my Vets say as well

I would advise 100% to get the myxi jabs done.
I lost some bunnies a while back with myxi and it was such an upsetting time.

We get ours done twice a year, we live near the New Forest so that's probably a high risk area.

Getting them done on Thursday in fact, should be an adventure. Never had to take both to the vets before.

The myxi jab doesn't last a whole year, and the immunity actually trails off quite a lot by about 9 months or so. So to keep your bunny at a stable level it's advisable to get 6 month boosters. This is what my vet said anyway. It's not so much to do with high risk areas as the fact that after 12 months your bunny probably won't actually be protected anymore. If you're in a low risk area what you can do is time the injections so that the greatest levels of immunity will coincide with the greatest risk of infection, and then you can get away with one injection a year, and that's where the high vs low risk areas come in. But while that may work in theory, in practice it's safest to go with the two injections a year.

Yep my vet recommends twice a year as well to make sure bun is efficiently covered all year round :) Gotta get Pip's done soon as she didn't have it when the others had it cos of her op but she seems to have recovered well so will get it done in next couple of months.

Nicola

mine says twice a year too!!

Recently where i live there was un-outbreak in enfield not far from me so i have to keep a close eye out just in case (Plus my neighbours haven't had their rabbits done!!)

The vets we use for our rescue advice to us is to do 6 months in high risk areas and every year in low risk areas. Some of our foster homes are in high risk areas due to proximity to large parklands others are in low risk areas. We also treat all our animals with insect repellent in all our foster homes when we are in high risk periods or their are known cases of myxie about.

Janice
Animal rescue and care

They’re specially made Homeopathic remedies for VHD and Mxyie in a liquid form (other forms are available).

Your give two/three drops at a time. I’m using this treatment plan. 1 dose night and morning for 3 days, then one weekly for 4 weeks then one a
Month for 6 months - repeat annually.

I bought my remedies from Ainsworths but there are other places.

http://www.ainsworths.com/news/details.aspx?id=11

You can find the Rabbit remedies on there website by typing Myxi and VHD in the search engine.

http://www.ainsworths.com/site/combination.aspx

They even do a Pasturella remedy which I am going to use as a preventive measure.

Louise

Can i just add that there is no such thing as a 'high risk area' my rabbit caught myxi we do not have wild rabbits near by and none visit our garden plus my rabbits are house rabbits

Got to be honest I don't know how they determine high risk areas as it's not air born, it passed by insects, so you would assume it could travel quite far.

It is now recommended that all rabbits (including those that live indoors and out ) have Myxomatosis vaccine twice a year, and VHD once a year.
Homeopathic nodules for these are available, but do not provide the cover that conventional vaccines do. I would not recommend leaving your rabbit unvaccinated and opting for the homeopathic option instead unless for some reason your rabbit is unable to have the conventional vaccine (ie if an allergic reaction has occured in the past).
I take Homeopathic medicines myself and support alternative medicines, but with something as invariably fatal as Myxomatosis and VHD I would not take any chances with my rabbits, and to date the conventional vaccines do provide the best cover .

Back