• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hot bunnys

FlipFlop

Mama Doe
Just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep bunnies cool, as it's boiling hot today and I don't want my baby to get too hot.

Where is your bunny, mine tend to move to warmer / cooler parts of the house when they need to. check his ears to see how warm he is.

He's lying down in his cage thing at the mo (the door is open), his ears are cold at the top, but get quite a bit warmer closer to his head. Oooh he's just jumped out!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have found freezing a bottle with water in is g8 the rabbits love lying bye them and licking them, i know breeders who have fans too keep the sheds cool which works g8 too
HTH
becky

just to add if he is an outside bun i spray the hutches with water, it keeps the temps down in the hutch and also on the pens too
becky

Rexy bexy said:
i have found freezing a bottle with water in is g8 the rabbits love lying bye them and licking them, i know breeders who have fans too keep the sheds cool which works g8 too
HTH
becky
Aye, Ben loves his frozen bottle in the summer to sit against too. If you use a large squash bottle or similar (providing you can get it in your freezer) then you can put it in the hutch in the morning and it will last for most of the day, as it melts slower than smaller bottles :D.

They also sell on ebay a 'chin cooler' which is like a tile that's placed in the freezer
I haven't used them only the bottles of water but if you have limited space it might be easier than a bottle.

I make ice cubes and put chunks of carrot or apple in them. The buns love them.
Lugs the naughty boy has apassion for fab ice lollies too :lol: :lol: :lol:

hot buns

Yep I've tried the water filled squash bottles after freezing them, any size works o.k. These all work either in a run, in a hutch. or inside wrapped in a towel to soak up any melt. The tile idea is worth a try too I have bought odd creamic tiles from a local supply store or D.I.Y store as they always have the odd one or two that are cheap. Some of my bunnies like to lie on them if they are hot.

Back