• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very sad day....Update: Bridget happily rehomed!!

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Please note I've come down with the flu so i probably won't be checking into the RU site for the next few days but I will reply to any responses as soon as I can.

I have had long talks with Alice and my vet and I'm very sad to say that I need to try and find lovely Bridget a TWO parent forever home. :cry: She is an absolutely lovely rabbit who craves human and rabbit affection and company and will make a lovely addition to a loving home.

Bridget is a giant French lop doe. She has no illnesses or infections (vet confirmed) but as she is overweight with the dewlap she doesn't manage to clean herself on her botty or lady area! I have tried so many different ways to clean her (holding her to me sat up; on her side with soft music and lavender scented towels; sat on a towel by the sink) but she is incredibly strong and will not let me clean her. The only way I can keep her still so she doesn't hurt her back struggling is with both arms but I then can't move my other hand/arm in order to clean her! :roll:

My vet who is a very strong man himself can't even clean her on his own - it took him and his assisant. She is very strong so you have to keep a firm hold of her otherwise she could really hurt her back. :( It is also important to clean her regularly and properly as she could end up getting ill if its not kept on top of - which is why I'm seeking another home for someone who will be able to make sure this doesn't happen. I would never forgive myself if she stayed with me and got ill because I couldn't manage to clean her. As she is quite overweight everything hangs down low so unfortunately she gets quite wet and mucky in her privates area.

Since I've had Bridget I have had her on the hay and water diet (she is a stone in weight which for her is far too much) which is doing wonders for her so please whoever the angel is that offers this lovely bun a home, please keep her on the hay diet to help her lose weight as its also given her more zest so far.

Thanks for reading xxxxxxxxxxx

Bridget027.jpg

Oh Romy, so sorry to hear you will need to let little Bridget go to another home.

My thoughts are with you and I am sure you will find her a home just as great as the one she has with you now.

I am sorry to hear that :shock: you must be heart broken....oh you poor thing :hugs: You know in your heart what’s best to do. :(

GET WELL SOON!

arh romy you poor thing, what sad news, hope you find a home for her soon, if i can help in anyway please let me know!!

Eve x

aawww what a shame... but i can understand why you feel you need to find her a new home. Im sure someone out there will be able to look after her as well as you have done so far.
Chin up :wink:

You must be heart broken ........ I had to give up my buns recently cos I couldn't get them out of France without endangering their lives ..... they were with me for almost 5 years and were as much a part of my family as my dog or hubby (more so if you ask him!) .... I never thought that I would give up an animal, it broke my heart and I still cry every time I think of them ........but I sincerely believe that there are times when it is best for the rabbits to go to another home with someone else (mine have a great new home a few miles from their old one, and my friends visit them regularly) .......Baza/Jo found a great new home for her buns with Mark ....... and as we've all being following your story, I'm sure Bridget will find an equally loving home soon.

It must have been really difficult to try to manage all that by yourself ...... my buns were tiny (each under 2kg) and every time I wanted to clean their bums or cut their nails, my o/h would help, not just because of how much they can struggle but also the fear we all share that they will damage their spines ........ with a bun her size and all by yourself it must have been almost impossible to do this.

I think you are doing the bravest thing by admitting defeat, a cute bun like her will hopefully be snapped up.

awwww Romy, sending you a big hug.
I'm sure she'll find a good home she is so lovely.
Thinking of you.xx

So sorry Romy, it can't have been easy for you. You have tried so hard with Bridget. Sending hugs and hope you feel better soon.

Betty xx

ah poor you Romy I hope you are not angry with yourself as I can imagine it would be very difficult for you to clean her on your own. Good luck in finding Bridget a new home. Just a thought have you considered asking somebody to maybe take Bridget in (someone with a partner) to clean her bum and when her sticky bum is clear for you to have her back? Just a thought..............Get well soon mate :wink:

Oh Romy I'm so sorry to hear this but don't beat yourself up about it - your a careing bunny mum and your doing what is best for Bridget - she does look quite a handful of a lady but so lovely and I'm sure you'll find a loving home for her.

Thinking of you - I know it must be heart wrenching for you.

BirdieBun said:
ah poor you Romy I hope you are not angry with yourself as I can imagine it would be very difficult for you to clean her on your own. Good luck in finding Bridget a new home. Just a thought have you considered asking somebody to maybe take Bridget in (someone with a partner) to clean her bum and when her sticky bum is clear for you to have her back? Just a thought..............Get well soon mate :wink:

i would be up for that, if you would like romy!!! pm me romy if you are interested in this option!!!

Eve x

bunnylove said:
BirdieBun said:

i would be up for that, if you would like romy!!! pm me romy if you are interested in this option!!!

Eve x

Eve you're a star :D

just a thought, but can you not get a friend to help you do it as if my o/h isn't here then I get my mum to help me as I have a French Lop who is the same as Brigette, I even stick his rear end in the sink and with one hand I clean him underneath it works a treat. If you lived near me I would def come and help you.

I think it would be a great idea to find someone in your area to help with Bridget, perhaps someone who could also advise and support you with bonding the bunnies.
If several Forum Members have said they would help if they were local, there must be someone in your area who could spare a bit of time to help you once a week or more.
If this means that you can keep Bridget and learn how best to care for her along the way, then it could be well worth considering.

I am so sorry you are feeling so deflated by this Romy, you are a great Bunny Mummy, and brave to ask for help, I admire you greatly for that.

Hope you feel better from your bug soon,
XX

I think it would be a great idea to find someone in your area to help with Bridget, perhaps someone who could also advise and support you with bonding the bunnies.
If several Forum Members have said they would help if they were local, there must be someone in your area who could spare a bit of time to help you once a week or more.
If this means that you can keep Bridget and learn how best to care for her along the way, then it could be well worth considering.

I am so sorry you are feeling so deflated by this Romy, you are a great Bunny Mummy, and brave to ask for help, I admire you greatly for that.

I agree with Adele,

There must be someone who could help - I would help if I lived closer. I am sure you are doing a fab job with Bridget; you are doing as good a job as anyone else would here :)

Adele said:

XX

i can help romy no problem!!!!!!!!i have pmd you romy!

Back