• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New friend for Holly

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Holly is my bun that Thumper left behind, she is 6 months old and hates other rabbits (she got attacked by them when she was a baby). After Thumper went on sunday i thought i'd leave her to get over him, but when i checked her yesterday she was panicked out of her litlle mind not knowing what todo!!!! i was in a quandrey???? what do i do then i thought Ah Ha i'll put her back in with her mum who lives in the next door run with toffee (male) so i did just that, and then her mum attacked her!!!!! :? So that was not going to work, I couldn't go and get her another rabbit she'd hate it the only rabbit she ever liked was Thumper, so a thought and then my mum sugessted a guinea pig. The pig needed to be female (Holly doesn't like male pigs i have one). So off i went to the local garden centre who happen to sell a small number of animals (and my friend works there) and we got holly the lovleyest of little pigs ever in the world!!!!! Yipee problem solved!!! :D so we brought her home and Holly has now calmed down the pig seems to like her too, we called her honey cause she's honey coloured!!!!!!!!!! as soon as i have a digital camera that works (like nutting my head against a brick wall) i shall take some photo's and attempt to post them, but for now all is calm in the Bunny land of Phill!!!!!! :lol: :D :lol: :D

Bea and Bert really love each other, although Bert bites and head buts her sometimes.

Rabbits and piggies should not be housed together for one they require different diets,they dont speak the same language and just by kicking out a rabbit can easly break a piggies back
I would seperate them if i were you
Im suprized people buy rabbits and piggies from petshops/garden centres when there are so many in rescues needing good homes

Hi, did you know that the RSPCA and most modern rabbit books don't recommend keeping buns and pigs together?

http://www.rspcareadingguineapigs.co.uk/rabbits&pigs.html

My vet also advises against it; the main reasons given in their rabbit care leaflet are:

1. Rabbits have very strong hind legs and can kick with great force. They are quite capable of breaking the guinea pigs legs or ribs or worse.

2. Rabbits can harbour Bordetella, harmless to the rabbit, but is pathogenic for the guinea pig.

3. Guinea pigs have a much higher daily requirement for vitamin C, this is generally provided in large quantities of green food, possibly more than the rabbit is used to.

You can't expect to put 2 rabbits together and for them to get on straight away, especially if they're not on neutral territory. As most people on here can tell you, it can be a long process!

The best thing for you to do is to have your pigs together and your rabbits together (so long as they're neutered that is).

Yes i know that rabbits and pigs are not suppposed to live together but i have been keeping buns and pigs for many years and have a pair of pigs on the hill with one of my bun familys, my female pig twink is the boss of the group and all tyhe buns are scared of her, As i have previously mentioned Holly is scared of other rabbits and will not live with them she will however live with pigs they like each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

What do you feed them then? has your rabbit been neutered?
I have also kept rabbits and piggies for many years but i still wouldnt house them together

I know it's not advisable to keep rabbits and pigs together, but I can see why it's the best thing to do in this situation. Holly is obviously VERY distressed by other rabbits, but is also a mess on her own. For a bun who's had a partner, to all of a sudden have no one around anymore, can you imagine how frightening that can be?

Sure, it's not recommended, but Holly's happy now and it seems the piggie is, too, so everyone's happy all round. Isn't that what we really want for our pets?

I aint tryin to be nasty but Bluebunny and Nix Back off! Why do you's have to keep on being like that! The bun and Piggie Are Happy together!!! Ive had lots of Rabbits and Piggies together! and they have all been fine together! Always the best of friends!

yeah I agree with all that has been said if the guinea aint comin to any harm with Holly and they are both happy - leave them be!!!!

Bluebunny if you aint meant to put piggies with bunnies then u shouldnt let ur dog near ur buns and little kids then!!! cause they could easy take a chunk out them!!! and stop being so dam Nasty to everyone!

If buns and pig are alwats fine together then why do the RSPCA advise against keeping them together? For fun?? To deliberately make people's lives harder???

I'm not saying this to annoy people - it's because it's what the recommendations now are. Whatever your personal experiences are, I'll stick with the views of the experts (i.e. rescues and organisations that see the horrific injuries rabbits can inflict on pigs).

I think that people who read this forum - who in fact probably come to it for advice - should be aware of the official line, not just the opinion of a few people who think they know what they're doing.

From the RWA website (http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/BondingRabbits.htm):

What about a Guinea-Pig?

Contrary to popular opinion, rabbits and guinea pigs do not make ideal cage mates. Although some rabbit/guinea pig pairs get on well, many more end in disaster, often with injuries to one or both animals.

If you have a rabbit and guinea pig living together happily let them stay together but make sure the rabbit is neutered, or the guinea pig is likely to be sexually harassed. Male guinea pigs may also need to be castrated. Take care with their diet - guinea pigs needs vitamin C daily, whereas rabbits don't. You must always provide a hidey-hole where the guinea pig can escape from the rabbit.

Please think twice before starting off with this combination; your rabbit will be much happier with a companion of his own species and the same goes for the guinea pig. A guinea pig is not a cheaper, easier friend for your rabbit than another rabbit.

i think that people who read this forum - who in fact probably come to it for advice - should be aware of the official line, not just the opinion of a few people who think they know what they're doing.

Nix you make a very good piont peope who come looking for advice on this forum should be given the advice of RSPCA ect.

I did not mean this post about Holly to cause an argument, it was to let you all know that my bunny that my Thumper left behind on Sunday had found a new friend that she was not scared of.

NicolaB18 said:
Bluebunny if you aint meant to put piggies with bunnies then u shouldnt let ur dog near ur buns and little kids then!!! cause they could easy take a chunk out them!!! and stop being so dam Nasty to everyone!
Do you know my dogs???
erm think not they live happly with my rabbits /piggies and small children
think you must be thinking of somebodys elses dogs mine are freindly thanks :)

For each situation there can be differnt circumstances.

Bluebunny's dogs live happily with her kids and her rabbits

Phill's bunny lives happily with his guinea pig

In both situations there is a chance that it could go wrong - like everything in life.

Some people beat their partners up after years of living togethor, does this mean that a woman should never live with a man in case one day he might hit her (or the other way round).

Providing it works for Phill then fine. I don't think this is the worst thing a person can do for their grieving bunny.

:D :D

Jules said:
For each situation there can be differnt circumstances.

Bluebunny's dogs live happily with her kids and her rabbits

Phill's bunny lives happily with his guinea pig

In both situations there is a chance that it could go wrong - like everything in life.

Some people beat their partners up after years of living togethor, does this mean that a woman should never live with a man in case one day he might hit her (or the other way round).

Providing it works for Phill then fine. I don't think this is the worst thing a person can do for their grieving bunny.

:D :D
Just because my dogs are staffies it doesnt make them devil dogs

NicolaB18 said:
I know i dont know ur Dogs, but u dont know Phills Rabbit DO YOU!!!
No i dont,but it is a FACT that rabbits and guniea pigs need different diet that they dont speak the same language and that rabbits have been known to injure piggies
Do you have any proof that my dogs cant be trusted with rabbits or small children? i dont think you do
plus your hijacking somebody elses thread at least what i was talking about rabbits/piggies was on topic

Back