• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore skin

bunnymyhoney57

Warren Scout
I have and angora=woolly mix buck who is about 2 yrs old.I noticed his left back leg was not being used porperly and took him to the vets as we thought he'd hurt it.He was examined and given hutch rest.On closer inspection I found the sole of the foot was matted and flakey crusted skin has appeared on both soles and his hair is falling out up his right leg.He has let me bathe his foot and I have cut off all the matts.He has had an ivermectin injection and is due for another.I am worried that now he has no fur on the sole of his foot and up his leg? will it grow back and whats caused it in the first place ?I am keeping him on pro fleece and inside in my kitchen and covering his bare skin with nappy cream ao it doesnt dry out? anyone any advice for Fluff ? :?

ps I have just trawled through all previous posts 24 pages in all to try to find a similar query. Whats worrying me most is why there were crusty flaky bits under the fur and white flakey bits in it? By the way september seems such a along time ago !!! I SAID 24 PAGES OF POSTS :roll:

When Zeus had mites it was crusty at the surface and as bits flaked off they went like dandruff through the fur.

Ivermectin is the best way to clear it up it make take up to three injections 7 to 10 days apart.

When he had it the hair broke off half way down the shaft but I think if it gets bad then all the hair falls out completely.

You will need to keep him well groomed and his cage area very clean to prevent the bare skin getting sores. It will grow back as Zeus' fur is back to normal now - it took a moult to get it back though.

Did it start on the sole - is it sore hocks as well then?

Caz

Hiya, yes it could be mites as alreday mentionned, but another thing to eliminate is the possibility of a water works infection.
Is the skin sore just on the feet or down the leg(s) too??
I say this as if a bladder infection is present you tend to get scolding down one or both back legs, (or on the feet where the bunny sits in acidic urine) which look red and sore. The acid in the urine makes the skin sore, and keeping the area moist with creams can sometimes make it worse as the skin needs to dry out.
You would be surprised how many vets treat skin conditions but do not think of a bladder infection as being the cause of the sore skin.
I have seen many bunnies over the years with sore skin that has been treated to some success with creams, and dusting powders (like Zinc powder, hydrogen peroxide powder) only for the condition to reoccur from an undiagnosed bladder infection.
These are just thoughts, but It may well be prudent to ask your vet to check this possibility too.
In the meantime, the cream may help protect the skin, but it depends on what the cause of the condition is as to what the best approach is.

Fur will grow back on the bottom of the feet eventually, and you need to use cream to ensure ulcers do not form on the feet which you are already tackling :)
Best wishes

Thanks for the suggestions so far.Fluff has had an injection for mites 'just in case' and is due to go back to the vets next tuesday( vets gone on holiday) There is flaky skin elsewhere if you look carefully tho his coat is so thick and woolly next to his skin its difficult.I've not put cream on today to see if it makes any difference to his skin. He seems to drink and wee o.k. and always lives on pro-fleece which I change and wash regularly. I am keeping the rest of his coat short and de-tangling every day.He seems a happy bunny apart from that one foot that he is keeping off the ground still.It is bare on the sole now but the skin doesnt look inflammed-to me.

Back