• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veggies

maverick

Young Bun
I was jsut eating an apple ad thought i would give maverick a taste. HE LOVED IT. So i gave him a bit (about a tenth because he hasnt realy had veggies in th past). I am slowly going to introduce veggies to his diet. I am in the process of changing him to supreme science selective now. He also loves brocoli, we have given it to him about evry week when we have a roast :D :D .

What do your buns like??? And what it their diet e.g mix or pellets? and how much veggies and mix

Oh yeah, he also eats a tonne of hay a day

Hi Maverick, My buns get mixed food (rabbit royal by dodson and horrell it has marigolds in it) Three times a week, Lots of hay, Grass (as they live outside) and mixed veg and herbs three times a week. I wouldn't feed them apple though as i had a rabbit once who had mouth ulcers caused by the acid which is in apple and oranges. (a little bits o.k but not much) :D

My Bunnies love curly kale though I havent been able to get any recently! :( , Romaine lettuce and Savoy cabbage!!! Oh and of course carrot tops, though those have been a bit thin on the ground recently too!!!

Hi,
I give Casper a bowl of veggies every morning, lots of hay and then a few pellets of excel at bedtime to get him into his cage.
I have to ensure Casper does not have too much calcium in his diet so I am slightly restricted but his favourites are:
Celery leaves (cut off our celery)
cauliflower leaves (we have a local shop which does not chop the leaves back too much so that's good and cheap)
carrot (and tops)
when I'm feeling extravagant(or it's in season): tomatoes, cucumber, peppers

things Casper used to like but I can't give him now because of the calcium content:
Curly kale, water cress, dandelion leaves

Mine have a small amount of pellets in the evening and half a carrot, handful of coriander/parsley or a leaf of savoy cabbage or a cauliflower leaf. Mine loves curly Kale too but i avoid it now as its high in calcium and i need to be careful with Nala now... rest of the time they both have lots of hay and dried grass which they like to eat.

I have got the carrots with tops on from tescos before but they dont last very long at all so now i just get normal carrots.

I have seen in supermarkets bags of spring greens... are these ok for rabbits or are they high calcium like spinach type stuff? I always look at them but cant figure out what it is. Anyone know?

Diddeen, My mum gets them from morrisons, my rabbits get them occasionaly, they are fairly high in calcium but not as much as kael my buns love them!! :D

Chris - Rob and Molly love the spring greens - I feed them these all the time - I thought these weren't high in calcium :?

Only thing about the bag or greens is that you need to rummage right to the bottom of these big crates in the supermarkets to get the fresh ones :wink: I reckon I'm going to be found at the bottom of one of these crates some day - head first :lol:

Mav hates carrot

Jessica will only eat carrots that have been cleaned and peeled. :roll:

They all like kale and cabbage and parsnips, the odd crust of bread and occassional porridge oats. oh and broccili and hay [but Jessica only eats Alfa hay :roll: ] and so the list goes on and on and on........

Betty

[/quote]

I feed Myrtle 2 cups of veg in the morning and two in the evening with half a cup of oxbow bunnyTbasics pellets. I got her diet from the www.rabbit.org
The bit below is from there,

What quantities of food should I feed mature adults? (1 to 5 years)
Unlimited timothy, grass hay, oat hay, straw
1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. body weight (depending on metabolism and/or proportionate to veggies)
Minimum 2 cups chopped vegetables per 6 lbs. body weight
fruit daily ration no more than 2 oz. (2 TBL) per 6 lbs. body
weight.

go to the carrot cafe for safe veg information www.carrotcafe.com

I have heard the acidic apple warning more in relation to guinea pigs. I haven't heard of rabbits getting it before Phill, that must have been horrible for him/her.

Mine love apple and go nuts for it. They don't get it often but a small piece every so often (about a whole one a week in total).

There is a list of rabbit edibles in the useful topics section at the top of the page!

Chris - mine love spring greens - I thought they were high in calcium though :? !

Caz

I'll tell you something all my buns and pigs go nuts for if you can get it Apple Wood!!!!!! We have apple trees in the garden and i had read on some site that they liked apple wood so i tried and they went mad within about an hour they had two smallish branchis cleaned of all the bark!!!!!! :)

Back