• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

droppings

kate

Warren Scout
These last three days Jack has been producing smaller and smaller droppings.

There is no fur in his droppings and even though they are very small they look healthy. The quantity is about the same as usual, they are just very very small.

I've given him a bit less dry food than normal to encourage him to eat more hay for fibre, he's eating plenty of hay anyway, he's happily chomping away right now. He's not grinding his teeth or anything, and he is being very active, he keeps doing binkys down the hall.

Are his tiny droppings any cause for concern? Should I do anything other than ensuring he's eating lots of fibre?

Thanks for your help,
Kate and Jack

That happened to Tarragon when he was moulting. Being paranoid about GI stasis and hairballs I added some jumbo oats into his food which brought him back to normal very fast.

I don't know what's causing it with Jack but it is a sign that his gut's not working as well as it could be and better to get it sorted sooner rather than when it becomes an emergency :? .

I like your signature by the way :) . I haven't attempted mine yet.

Oli sometimes does small poos but it's a little difficult to keep track of as both mine use the same litter tray... I have not worried about it in the past and he always seems to go back to normal. More worrying for me is that he tends to produce a lot of sticky poos (always has done). I think he overeats but I weigh their food out every day to try and avoid overfeeding. Not sure what to do other than gradually weening them both off the pellets and onto hay and veggies only... any suggestions? I do not allow him carrots or other high carb veggies, just the odd grape/raisin, celery and spring greens :(

i syringe a bit of fresh pineapple juice into simba when he does that... or give him a piece of fresh pineapple (not tinned) as the enzyme in pineapple is supposed to be good at breaking up blockages of hair. It could be he hasnt eaten much hay lately so cutting back on the pellets will help to resolve that. :wink:

A change in dropping size can be the best gauge of a problem developing with the digestive system , so I monitor our bunnies droppings daily.
The minute I spot any small droppings, I give pineapple juice (as Dideen suggested) a small squirt of Kitty Malt at the bunnies mouth (to aid gut movement and to elimate and fur building up in the guts...you cannot always see fur in the droppings, it can be building up inside without any external signs :?
I would tend to cut right back on dried food, and give high fibre food if possible, but only a handful, and instead try and get the bunny to eat as much hay as possible.

A bunny with a healthy digestive system will produce droppings that are large and fibrous, not small and hard, and these should not vary too much.If dropping size is varying quite a bit then there are too many swings in the bunnies diet...dried food then fibre,....the fibre content needs to be fed continously and the best way to do this is via hay.
A small amount of dried food is fine, but the high fibre ones are better long term.

I would not ignore small droppings and tend to act immediately to ensure gut statis does not develop.
A quarter of a teaspoon of Kitty Malt for two to three days(in addition to a 1 ml syringe full of pineapple juice twice a day), should help initially and long term, look at the diet to check enough hay is being eaten.

Best wishes

Back