• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat corriander???

Hi

Ive been giving my buns corriander for ages. its only recently that someone told me it is bad for them. ive looked on rabbit rehome and cant find corriander in the edibles / non-edibles lists.

jack abs loves corriander, its the first thing he eats out of all his veggies. fudge and leo are the same (but they will eat anything) and Scampie loves it to. i dont give them a lot - maybe 2-3 strands a day.

They also eat parsley, mint, basil and ive just seen lemon grass in the edibles list so i might try that at the weekend.

Also can they eat Thyme??

My two love coriander as well :) Only thing I find about coriander is that it doesn't stay fresh as long as the other herbs.

I think I tried Thyme and they didn't like it - I normally buy basil, mint, coriander, parsley and chives - they love all of these :)

Corriander (cilantro in America) is one of the herbs I have been told bunnies go mad for as a treat - mine aren't fussed though!

Caz

They better like it. It's one of the few things I've managed to get to grow from all the seeds I planted.

Coriander's definitely ok for rabbits and I've been told it's safer than parsley because it doesn't have the calcium :D .
Six of my eight rabbits love it, one won't touch it and one hasn't been given the chance to try it yet. Guess it's all down to personal taste :p

ummmm

thats good news

im glad to hear everyone else is feeding their buns it. mine go mad over it. its a good job Asda do big bunches of corriander (now i have 6 bunnies to feed)!!! :wink:

Yeah my two love coriander.. i get those big bunches from asda too :D Wish they did big bunches of parsley aswell.

Hey guys you could grow your own herbs in big pots thats what i do in spring/summer and if you grow enough you can freeze it for the winter it's fine and very cheap!!!! :D

Phill said:
Hey guys you could grow your own herbs in big pots thats what i do in spring/summer and if you grow enough you can freeze it for the winter it's fine and very cheap!!!! :D

The theory is there but 9 days later and none have sprouted yet the tomatoes, marigolds and peppers are all up (planted on the same day) :(!

Caz

I'm lucky, I live near an asian supermarket and I can buy fresh herbs by the virtual barrowload for next to nothing, :D

I worry though that the bunny thinks I'm trying to flavour him from the inside out! :lol:

Caz said:
The theory is there but 9 days later and none have sprouted yet the tomatoes, marigolds and peppers are all up (planted on the same day) :(!

Caz

I planted loads and the only one that came up is the coriander. I've ended up buying some from the garden centre to put in the garden. I grew my own from seed years ago with no problems, but for some reason they all hate me now. And I couldn't find any basil so I'll try one of those pots they sell in the supermarket.

The tomatos have sprouted fine, and even the peppers have come up, so I can't understand why the basil wouldn't grow. :(

I'm also trying some spinach as the packet says I can just sow it straight in the garden. I have my doubts but we shall see.

window box

I tried growing my own herbs. i had them all in a huge window box for months and nothing happened and then they died!!! im hopeless - i think il stick to buying them from a shop :wink:

My mum has a terrible habbit of killing my herbs, so I quit growing them, but I may try again and keep them out of her grasp. We don't call her the 'basil killer' for nothing! :lol: :lol:

Bertie said:
Caz said:

Caz

I planted loads and the only one that came up is the coriander. I've ended up buying some from the garden centre to put in the garden. I grew my own from seed years ago with no problems, but for some reason they all hate me now. And I couldn't find any basil so I'll try one of those pots they sell in the supermarket.

The tomatos have sprouted fine, and even the peppers have come up, so I can't understand why the basil wouldn't grow. :(

I'm also trying some spinach as the packet says I can just sow it straight in the garden. I have my doubts but we shall see.

The thing is I used the herb seeds in autumn (in pots on my window sill) and most sprouted (only the basil survived though and that is for my pasta sauces not the bunnies :twisted: ) so I thought I would try again with the rest of the packet. They are within "plant-by" ;) dates so I can't understand why none have sprouted this time! I did read today that parsley can take up to 40days to germinate :shock: so after a month I will try again if nothing has happened :( ! I have parsley, chervil, coriander, basil and oregano seeds planted and chives that I cheated and bought a pot of.

Are your peppers really slow growers Bertie? Mine have germinated but the shoots are tiny and growing v. slowly compared to the tomatoes and marigolds (I am using marigolds this year to keep away greenfly as my attempt to be organic last year ended in a big bottle of bug spray :roll: ).

Caz

So far in the green house i have loads of coriander, Parsley a gew toms and peppers and dozens of different cabbage varieties, rubarb (for pies) balckberrys and redcurrents ( i started planting in feb) and i still have loads of seeds to go!! ooh i have chives and basil too!! :wink:

Caz said:
Are your peppers really slow growers Bertie? Mine have germinated but the shoots are tiny and growing v. slowly compared to the tomatoes and marigolds (I am using marigolds this year to keep away greenfly as my attempt to be organic last year ended in a big bottle of bug spray :roll: ).

Caz

I sowed them at the same time as the tomatoes and the toms germinated within a fortnight and now their first set of leaves are wilting. The peppers took ages to germinate and while the second set of leaves are growing, they aren't exactly speeding along. They're not tiny, they're a good size, but compared to the tomatoes they're a bit backwards. I figured that peppers would be harder to grow anyway, and the tomatoes are some easy grow variety. I need to put them all in new pots, but it's raining and the compost is in the shed. They're only plants, they can wait another day.

I tried a pepper plant last year (bought a seedling from a local plant sale) but it died :(. Trying those big banana variety from seeds - the long knobbly sweet peppers (ramiro? they sell them as in Sainsbury's). I have been really slow in getting them planted. Last year I left it even later though :roll: !

Caz

Its one of the only two things I feed charlie cos of the low calcium and oxalates, and his delicate uranyl wotsit problem. The other is fresh peas.

I find that I cook more curry cos Ive always got a huge bunch of coriander! Luckily, I really like curry especially with lots of coriander in it.

My new bunny turned her nose up at it! tut! :shock:

Back