• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

transgenic art

kate

Warren Scout
A girl at college gave us a talk about transgenic art, where genes of living beings are manipulated to make unique creatures. This includes a glow in the dark rabbit!! I couldn't believe it when I first heard about it, but someone has actually really done this: what do you make of it?

http://www.ekac.org/gfpbunny.html#gfpbunnyanchor

:shock: :shock: :shock: It's not April 1st for a couple more days yet :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gosh, I really hope that this isn't true :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry:

This is disgusting!

To genetically modify an animal so it glows in the dark just to give a human being a moment’s pleasure is appalling.

And to think they call it art!!!!

I hate to think what happened to the poor animals they used to get this experiment to work.

My god whatever will they think of next! :evil:

Louise

ART! :shock: no way! Thats sick.

I used GFP (green fluorescent protein) constructs during my PhD - mostly on Drosophila (fly) eggs. They would have had to tag huge amounts of the protein to get the bunny to glow, especially through it fur, plus it bleaches out everytime you light it up it would get more faint.

I got out of science 6 years ago so don't fully understand new advances in this, it may be possible. After all there are animals that naturally glow in different wavelengths of light. I'm going to find out.

I have my fingers crossed that this is a hoax. :?

I shouldn't think it would work in reality and certainly you couldn't get the funding to do it as art!! It would cost thousands if not millions as rabbit genetics are much more complicated than jellyfish genetics (glow in the dark fish have been produced using jellyfish genes).

I had a quick search on pubmed and found no papers mentioning it - believe me if they had made a glow in the dark rabbit it would be very well published!

It isn't listed on any of the hoax websites though :? .

Caz

I used to make GFP yeastie beasties, and they weren't particularly impressive. Well, ok. The first time I saw them glowing was quite cool. But it was quite faint, and they had to be right on the UV lamp, and all the other lights had to be switched off. It's very easy to photoshop a white bunny to look green.

If you google 'Green Rabbit' it comes up with that site... I only know this because one of my friends wanted a green rabbit picture (don't ask! lol)
I personally think it's done with a graphics programme.

ellepotter said:
To genetically modify an animal so it glows in the dark just to give a human being a moment’s pleasure is appalling.

[snip]

My god whatever will they think of next! :evil:

Next they'll probably breed them to have floppier ears, or stripey fur, or big tufts of fur like a lion's mane...

Having had a look, it's very obviously a photoshop job. Look at the shoddy cropping down the bunny's back...

I Think this could be a wind-up. There was an art student in our local college who did something like this with a bunch of flowers a few years ago - he had a bouquet of glow in the dark roses and he managed to persuade all the staff and judges that he had specially genetically modified them.

Can't remember how he did it - I'll try and find out. I think this person has done the same thing.

pretty stupid 'though.

lol Pam

glowing rabbit

I have a cutting taken from a Sunday magazine some time ago.It shows a picture of two buns one white and one sitting next to it with a slightly green tinge to its fur.The text says----Take a bunny from the lab and make it glow in the dark.Is it science or art?artist Eduardo Kac calls his work transengenic art on his website www.ekac.org/ 'is based on the use of genetic engineering to transfer natural or synthetic genes to an organism, to create unique living beings'.The result is Alba, a fluorescent green rabbit responsible for one of the greatest furores in the scientific community.What gives him the right to tamper with an animals genes? On the other hand why should a certain technologhy-gene manipulation-be available to only one group-the scientific one?Join the debate on www.allabouteve.co.uk------
Cant't rmemeber when it was printed but I've had it at least wo years.

I personally think a Green Bunny is just boring - if they could produce a multi rainbow one - now that would be impressive :shock:

Now just to clarify before I get a "smack bott" from you all - I am just kidding and like the many others on here I really do hope this is just some kinda wierd hoax cus if it isn't - has science gone completely bonkers or what :!:

bunnytales said:
I personally think a Green Bunny is just boring - if they could produce a multi rainbow one - now that would be impressive :shock:

:lol: :lol: It might be useful for Bob as I can never see him in the dark :lol:

bunnytales said:

I've posted him before, and I'm sure I'll post him again. This is what breeders and genetic engineers should be working towards!

tigerbunny.jpg

Imagine; the take-no-prisoners 'tude of the rabbit, but tempered by the fuzzy good-naturedness of the tiger... ;)

Back