• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is honeysuckle poisonous to rabbits?

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
I put snowy in her run today but I did'nt realise there was a bit of honesysuckle poking through and she was eating it, my dad says it's not poisonous but I just wanted to make sure.

I've always been told that it is bad for buns and all my books say the same thing.
If she has only been nibbling then she may just get a bit of an upset tum - have you any probiotic in just in case? You could put some in her water to be on the safe side.
She should be fine - a lot of these plants would have to have a lot consumed by buns before they did any real damage. I think some house plants are even more dangerous as some of them only need a little nibble and can fall quite ill :?
We don't have any houseplants at all now - better to be safe than sorry.
I'd just keep an eye on her poops and maybe get her to eat a lot more hay overnight.

she only had a little nibble and I moved it out the way then, I've just fed her and she's eating OK so hopefully she'll be alright.

i think it is bad for bunnies but a tiny bit probs wont do no harm i know my buns has had a nibble before but they shouldnt eat it
becky

I was wondering if dandelion greens are good for buns. I bought some at a produce store and they loved it. They ate it so fast! I didn't know they could eat that fast! All of mine did fine but I was wondering if it was okay because when I gave some to my friend her recently neutered bun passed 2 days later. is this just a coincidence?

Aspen'n'company said:
I was wondering if dandelion greens are good for buns. I bought some at a produce store and they loved it. They ate it so fast! I didn't know they could eat that fast! All of mine did fine but I was wondering if it was okay because when I gave some to my friend her recently neutered bun passed 2 days later. is this just a coincidence?
I believe only a post mortem would be able to show the actual cause of death so its no use beating yourself up wondering if its something you did. Thats easy for me to say as I'm a right worry pants and would probably be stressing as well :roll:

Is it dandelions as in the weed that you fed the rabbits?

I feed mine dandelions (from my lawn :oops: ) and they do love them (nearly lose fingers if I am too slow). As long as they were from a safe source (no weedkiller) then they are a good veggie in moderation.

Dandelions are a diuretic (cause peeing) and too much can cause loose stools but as with any "rabbit safe" veg fed in moderation they make a tasty addition to most rabbit's diets.

Caz

Well I have always heard it was and before I have heard about it we would always give the leaves to our Silver Martens and not one ever gotten sick. They actually loved it. So not so sure how true it is.

I put snowy in her run today but I did'nt realise there was a bit of honesysuckle poking through and she was eating it, my dad says it's not poisonous but I just wanted to make sure.

Back