• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woodshavings aren't safe!!!

Beebop

Warren Veteran
I know a lot of you will probably disagree with me but I am going to try.
Hardwood woodshavings like aspen are safe, however some animals develop a severe allergy towards it. Softwood shavings ARE bad and the types include cedar (the worst!!) and pine, including Kiln dried (most commonly found here in the uk!) :shock:
Lots of you use it, and I'm sure most of you will say that you haven't any problems with it and have used it for years and years. Well the fact is that most of the damage is done on the inside. It effects not only hamsters, mice etc but rabbits and guineas etc! There are other alternatives out there, I use carefresh with no problems. :wink:
This is a link I have found listing many, many web sites on why it is dangerous and I sincerely hope you will agree with me. Anyay there is no point me explaining everything so here is the link. Please go to it :wink:

http://cavycages.com/pine.htm

I agree..

I completly agree, i have a pet rat and i have used woodshavings for years.

I had two and they lived for a long time but both died of resprity (sorry cant spell that, who would guess im doing a degree!) problems so i ahve changed to special stuff (sorry i cant remeber the name of it)

The poor little gorgeous ratties where so ill at the end so imagne what it is doing to our wonderful bunnies :cry:

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXX

I am so, so glad you agree! :D
I believe that the cause of my gerbils and one of my hamsters death was because of woodshavings (had the same symptons associated with it).

The stuff you use may be carefresh, it is quite expensive and is grey in colour. It is great, it is enivormentally friendly, absorbant, non-toxic, natural dust free etc! :D

I use my horses wood shavings, how do I know what type they are? They are dust extracted and pale. :?

I just get the shavings from the pet shop & they dont say what they are, on the bag it has "fresh from the farm" so are they going to be bad? I tried using newspaper & shredded paper but the bunnies ate it instead of food, is it safe for them to eat newspaper??

I honestly don't know how you can tell the difference, I am pretty sure though it is pine, (pale gold, right?) If in doubt I wouldn't risk it especially when you read all the bad effects caused by it.

Anyone who is reading this and is using shavings that aren't safe or you are unsure what type they are I beg you to switch to a safe bedding, for your animals' health sake, please, please, pretty,pretty please!!!!!! I am on my knees here! Obviously I can't tell you what to do but I hope you will consider my advice and change!!!! PLEASE :(

Oh and as for newspaper it is really, really bad for them if they eat it, the ink is posionous!!! :shock:

Beebop said:
Oh and as for newspaper it is really, really bad for them if they eat it, the ink is posionous!!! :shock:

Crikey! What do you suggest we bed our pets on if we can’t use Wood Shavings or Shredded Paper/Newspaper? :shock:

I think whether or not newspaper is bad for Rabbits depends if they eat it or not. I use it and mine don’t. Any bedding you put an animal on is bad for them if they eat a lot of it unless it’s Hay.

I'm also on the fence when it comes to the wood shavings debate. I've read just as much literature to prove wood shavinsg is harmless to Rabbits, as I have to prove that they are dangerous to a Rabbits health.

I personally don’t us them as I have an Angora.

When we where at home we used them for years on the Pet Rabbits with no problems.

If anybody wants a long read have a go at this article:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/1155/Pine.html

Louise

err ive been using woodshavings for my bunny for years...it was 5 bucks for a load that would fitin the back of a truck! it was really big and my mom insisted we get it...bc carefresh is like 20 bucks a pop from where i am...im gonna try to finish this bag of cedar and get carefresh soon maybe?

I wouldn't use wood shavings for rats, they are pretty prone to respiritory problems and its fairly well agreed that shavings are bad for that.

I do use them for my rabbits though, they're outdoors so well ventilated and unlike rats don't have their noses so close. They also have layer of hay/straw over the top.

As for newspaper you'd need to check with your local one about the ink. Not all inks are poisonous. There is some info on this site on contents of newspaper: http://www.newspaper.paisley.ac.uk/newspaper/index.htm

I think alot of the 'newspaper - poison ink' advice has been around along time and perhaps hasn't taken into account changes in production. I don't know if there have been any recent studies.

I certainly wouldn't start panicing :)

Tam

I also used woodshavings for my two rats, both had respiritory problems. When I found out that woodshavings can cause harmful effects, I stopped using them, but it was already too late for one of them: he died of liver failure :cry: I don't know for definite that the woodshavings caused it, but I've read they can, and he wasn't especially old (2 years 2 months). I found out about carefresh and other such beddings when he was at his most ill, and I immediately switched. My other rat suffered from respiritory problems, which reduced when I stopped using woodshavings. He lived to be 3 years old. I feel awful thinking that the bedding I was using could have shortened the lifespan of my pets. At the time, it was harder to find reliable information about keeping small animals: the books I read and the petstore staff all recommended sawdust then, but I think the general consensus now is that it is bad for small animals.

As for rabbits, I believe that woodshavings aren't as harmful, but I wouldn't use them. Someone compared the effect in rabbits to be about the equivalent of a person drinking a glass of wine each night - I can't remember where I read that! It doesn't neccesarily do them harm, but its not the best thing for them either.

I haven't used woodshavings for years, however, I do use wood pellets in my rabbits litter boxes. But they are in cages, not hutches, it is therefore well ventilated.

For my hamsters and mice I use either cross shredded paper or megazorb. Both dustfree, both cheap, both excellent bedding.

Vera

hmm

Wow I had no idea. Well could you list some other bedding that could be used (if you know of any others). That would be great.

I agree completely that wood shavings are bad for them. I don't use bedding anymore except for in the litter boxes. I bulid my cages out of office cubicle grids. The bottom of the cage is plastic so it is easy to wipe down. I use kitty litter in the boxes and they have taken to it quite well. It also seems to reduce the odor. Plus, shavings can get kindof expensive!

Back