• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting Bun Outside?

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
Hey it's me again, I cant stop posting!!!

Anyway as the spring has sprung (if you know what i mean) im thinking about my bun being outside. I have a big run for her and was wondering what everyone thought about her being in the run all the time.

I may give it an 'extension' with an 'en-suite bathroom' to give her some more space :lol: and build a little house for her so she could be on the grass all the time.

I am terribly worried about foxes so i would have to do something about it somehow! Anyway what do you guys think, i hope it's not cruel or anything as she does have her hutch outside i just know she loves being on the grass so much.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Well at night time the grass will be cold and wet and also foxes,cats etc will be a threat to your rabbit so I don't reccommend it. Also the chances are that if you leave her unsupervised she will burrow her way out. That happened my friends rabbit (I didn't know her at the time otherwise things would have turned out differently.)
On mild days you can let her have time out of her hutch and in the run whilst you keep a close eye on her :wink:

The weather is still quite chilly at night compared to inside. You might want to switch gradually letting her out during the day and in at night for awhile. The run will need to have a lid, and a floor to stop burrowing. A shaded area for when the sun shines, make sure there is some shade throughout the day as the sun moves across. Also hidey holes as buns feel more secure & less stressed if they have some cover to bolt to when they need it.

If she isn't used to munching grass all day becareful it doesn't upset her stomach, especially as with the rain and sun it will be richer than old winter stuff.

Tam

Back