• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water - how much??

How much water should a rabbit drink daily??? Is there such a thing as too much???? Bonny is going through at least 2-3 bowls a day, she drank one in 20 minutes :shock: but she is also peeing for england and not just in her litter tray. Should we be worried?? :? :?

Oh I'm not sure about this. I guess it is a bit warmer at the moment so maybe shes just a bit hot. Sorry I can't be of more help. Bridget is drinking lots of water as well but she keeps spilling/upturning the bowl which is why I have to keep refilling it! :roll:

That does seem rather excessive :? Is she fine in every other respect :?: Is she eating well and all coming out the other end :?:
She could be hot and wanting to drink more or she could be eating food that she thinks she needs more water to push it through.
If she carries on at this rate I would have a vet feel her kidneys and maybe do a blood test to see what her kidney functions are like - it's always best to do this if you think drinking habits have become different.
She may have cystitis and that could be another reason - if you have any yarrow in the garden then let her eat that - it is a natural way of helping cystitis.
Give her a cuddle from me and tell her I hope that she is feeling well in herself and that she is just a bit of a water guzzler :D

She is eating fine, loves her timothy hay and veg. She is allergic to rabbit food so doesn't have this, we have put probiotics in the water given to us by the vet but do you think she may be lacking in some other area??? She has peed at least 7 times in the space of an hour :shock:

Do you put probiotics in the water every day? ........ it could be that it adds a taste to the water that she really likes ......... maybe if you gave her plain water, to see if that makes a difference.

The few times I gave my buns Rescue Remedy, I put it into some water and they licked the bowl clean!!!!

I don't know what a normal amount is, sorry .......mine had a bottle and sometimes it would leak, often at different rates, so I always found it hard to tell.

Well I guess if there is only a day and a half left, you should continue ..... is she on any other medication?

I guess you could try ringing the vet for advice or wait and see if it stops when she goes back to normal water on Wed.

How big is the bowl and how warm is her area? Is she outside in the sun, or in a warm room?

A mini-lop sized bunny should be drinking about 200ml a day. But if they're warm they'll drink a lot more. And they're only small, so the wee comes out quick too. Is she straining to wee?

Sheffield has always drunk a lot, and we took him to the vets about it. A bunny his size should have been drinking about 200mls a day and he was guzzling down about a litre. He went down to a more reasonable amount once he was settled down, but since the weather started heating up again he's getting through about 400-500ml a day. He actually gets excited when I refill his water bottle.

So 400-600ml a day. That's not far off Sheffield since the weather changed. I agree that you should wait till she's off the probiotics and see if she's still drinking a lot. She might like the taste, or you might just have a bunny that likes her water. She might be detoxing or fighting back against spots and wrinkles.

Bertie said:
So 400-600ml a day. That's not far off Sheffield since the weather changed. I agree that you should wait till she's off the probiotics and see if she's still drinking a lot. She might like the taste, or you might just have a bunny that likes her water. She might be detoxing or fighting back against spots and wrinkles.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bertie said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd be a little more worried if she's usually very good with the litter tray and is now not using it properly. I agree though it could be a side effect of the probiotics. You could always phone your vet and ask about that one.

Tam

We have changed the litter from catsan to megazorb but she has been happily peeing and pooing in it. She seems to just sit there and pee and then wanders off either into her tray or somewhere dry :shock: :D :shock: We are going to have to change the flooring to lino to stop it getting any smellier :shock:
She pees in the hall and in our room too yet she has access to her litter tray and happily goes in it :? :? :? :? :?

Back