• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping

Milo

Young Bun
Well I recently adopted a rabbit from my old middle school's science teacher. He lived in a very small cage in the classroom where there was constantly kids poking him and fooling around with him. I have been searching for the right rabbit for a long time and decided that he was the best choice and needed to get out of there. Anyway, the teacher/owner of the rabbit never clipped his nails (he is around a year old) so they are very long and it looks quite painful. I have some really nice clippers that can do the job (plus his nails are white, which is good). I have always been kinda scared to cut their nails. I read lots of different methods but i'm hesitant to try them. I suppose the best way is to have some one hold the rabbit while i trim the nails.....

Well if anyone has any good advice to offer i would really appreciate it and could use it! Thanks in advance :D

what i do is put th rabbit on his back. get the clippers and CAREFULLY cut each nail. dont go too low or you will hurt him. It is easy once you know how far to do it. the rabbit will go into a trance sort of thing whilst he is upside down, so he will stay still.
Hope it helps

thank you :D

Thank you very much. I'll give it the old college try. He needs them to be clipped so badly.

I've also found that it works best with two people ........ one of my buns had no problem lying on his back for this ........but the other would refuse to turn over (she didn't mind being picked up and sat quite happily on my chest smelling my hair {big breasts/small bun!!! :lol: :lol: } without me even holding her, but if you tried to turn her over she would right herself in an instant).

In case you have this problem we found that the best way was for my o/h to stand with her comfy on his horizontal arm (secured with the other) and for me to gently tease the outside limbs free and from a kneeling position, level with her, clip the nails, then turn her round and clip the other side.

:D

ooh do I? Lol I had no idea! I'll find another then.

Thank you so much for the help, I'll be sure to use it :3

Hiya - I've just been reading your other post regarding you new boy - sounds like your having a busy time :)

Just my personal view but if your at all unsure how to clip your bunnies nails - especially if its a first time and your feeling a little nervous I defo consider getting my Vet to show me how to do it and this will help you for the future.

Bearing in mind this little bunster has come far from a relaxed calm environment any unintentional miss handling at this stage could set you back a bit from the strong trust you are working so hard to build with him.

Hope this helps and sending a snuggle for your bunster.

I get the bunny in a towel so the legs dont splay out and someone else holds her. Then i get each leg out in turn and cut the nails, my Myrtle has all black nails exept one. I use the white on to judge how close the blood supply is to the end.
Have some styptic powder or cornflower on hand to stop bleeding just in case you cut too far.

thankies

Thanks everyone once again!

Yes the vet would be a wise idea. I would have to find one that i can trust first. Yes that's also very true, I'm trying my best not to spook him or give him any reason to fear me. Not to mention I'm still trying to litter train the little ******. He is so stubborn, hopefully over time and practice he will figure it out.

THANK YOU!

woah

what the, I wonder why those symbols were put there? I didn't put any curse words or anything in there. That's strange..... hmm

I find it depends on the bunny. Stew will lie on his back whilst I do his nails, but Sooty won't lie on her back, so my mum will hold her for me, the same with my neighbours bunny when I do him. Agree with the vet idea, I learnt from an experienced puppy handler what to do (different I know! :lol: ). Hope that helps a little :D

hehe

I typed b u g g e r. I didn't think that is was anything bad :shock:

Yeah your probably right on that one. I'll just have to see.

Thanks!

i get someone to hold them on there back....just incase they move so i don't have to worry about hurting by holding and clipping

Usually I clamp them down and Bertie does the actual clipping. None of ours much like being on their backs, so I usually just hold them firmly against my chest and Bertie grabs a leg at a time - that way it's a bit harder for them to kick.

The way I see it is that our lot are a feisty bunch, and don't generally much like being picked up or held for very long - they're happy enough with a quick cuddle, but the time it takes to do their claws doesn't make them happy.

Given that, it seems best to get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible, and imobilising them properly definitely helps. Then a treat like a handful of kale, a handful of pellets and an enormous clump of fresh hay so they don't hate us too much!

With Oli, I just sit him on my lap to clip and he doesn't really move or seem that bothered about it. Sylvia is a different matter when it comes to 'medication' - she won't even let me look in her ears! (she thinks I am giong to put drops down there). But if the vet does it, she's calm as anything - he's always going, 'Isn't she a good little bunny?' Urm NO, not at home Mr Vet! And they always think Oli is the naughty one because he tries to jump off the table :shock: So anyway, Sylvia is a combination of me or my partner holding her firmly on the floor, and the other one clipping... she won't go on her back, she thrashes and I'm afraid she will hurt herself if I try and make her do it - so I don't. b-m

Back